Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Fighters RTE 1

Options
  • 12-05-2015 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Just in case people didn't know, this has started again (last week, Episodes available online via RTE Player). Usual style to program, also this time following the recruits in training. Which to me looks intense add into it the pressure of a camera crew.

Matress Mick got away fairly lightly, should that warehouse caught on fire in the blaze that would have been one hell of a fire on there hands.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

The recruits were bollixed in this weeks episode. No way could I do their job. Can't believe that they only had one engine covering a province the same size as Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Great show, must be something else to be in those training scenarios. Glad they don't sanitise the trainers giving instructions, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭u2gooner

Great show, must be something else to be in those training scenarios. Glad they don't sanitise the trainers giving instructions, either.

Oh they're sanitized, Believe me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Probably, but not has bad as Traffic Blues was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Well done to all the recruits in the last episode 1/2013.

Never seen such a happy group of people, everyone looked delighted !

Congrats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Interesting series but one thing though.
    Those new recruits weren't Paramedics within 6 months were they?
    Thought being a Paramedic took 2 years of training.
    So DFB send out an ambulance for the night with a fresh recruit who probably has an EFR cert at best and 1 paramedic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

flazio wrote: »
    Interesting series but one thing though.
    Those new recruits weren't Paramedics within 6 months were they?
    Thought being a Paramedic took 2 years of training.
    So DFB send out an ambulance for the night with a fresh recruit who probably has an EFR cert at best and 1 paramedic?

Have to say while watching it this did cross my mind aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭two4two

The paramedic course is a long road. Part of this is working on an emergency ambulance as a paramedic intern where you are expected to build up hours. This is done as a third man for the first 2 weeks if I remember correctly and then your out on your own with another paramedic working to build up the remainder of your hours. There are further exams / case studies to be completed before you are registered as paramedic at the end of the 2 years with PHECC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,871 ✭✭✭✭flazio

But in the last programme, it was made to look as if our new recruit was on the ambulance for his first shift alone with the longest serving Fire Fighter. Now I did glimpse a face sneaking in the back so it might be a case that the second paramedic didn't want to appear on camera but it's misleading to present as if a recent recruit could just hop on an ambulance of 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

But in the last programme, it was made to look as if our new recruit was on the ambulance for his first shift alone with the longest serving Fire Fighter. Now I did glimpse a face sneaking in the back so it might be a case that the second paramedic didn't want to appear on camera but it's misleading to present as if a recent recruit could just hop on an ambulance of 2.

Yeh, it showed none of their paramedic training or talked about it at all, which is certainly misleading!

The minimum (as per PHECC) is
    10 weeks theory
    2 week hospital placement
    16 week clinical placement on ambulance
    1 year paramedic intern

http://www.phecit.ie/Images/PHECC/Career%20and%20Education/Qualifications/BLN005%20Minimum%20duration%20and%20essential%20requirements%20of%20PHECC%20recognised%20practitioner%20level%20courses%20leading%20to%20registration.pdf

• Advertisement

two4two wrote: »
    The paramedic course is a long road. Part of this is working on an emergency ambulance as a paramedic intern where you are expected to build up hours. This is done as a third man for the first 2 weeks if I remember correctly and then your out on your own with another paramedic working to build up the remainder of your hours. There are further exams / case studies to be completed before you are registered as paramedic at the end of the 2 years with PHECC.

I'd assumed to myself he was probably on his either 3rdman placement and the other paramedic was around just not shown for dramatic effect or he was out on internship with qualified paramedic so as you say working on his own with a qualified member but it was very misleading made it look like he did his 6 weeks training and jumped into an ambulance as a paramedic on his first day:eek:

Now I did glimpse a face sneaking in the back
    Seen that aswell I guessed mite be another paramedic but it could also have been part of the camera crew following them

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

sjb25 wrote: »
    Seen that aswell I guessed mite be another paramedic but it could also have been part of the camera crew following them

Was that not the recruit when the camera crew were up front with the qualified paramedic driving the ambulance

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Harry Bosch.

The TV show is shot over a prolonged period of time.The time frame from when they graduted from the OBI on TV up to him in the ambulance on TV could be up to a year. He didnt just graduate from the OBI and start his first shift on the ambulance, he could easly have qualified as a paramedic and then the cameras rolled again later in the year to catch up with them.They have left certain aspects of the training out of the show. They can not fit everything in. The class i think is from 2013 and they are well into 2014 on the show.

The TV show is shot over a prolonged period of time.The time frame from when they graduted from the OBI on TV up to him in the ambulance on TV could be up to a year. He didnt just graduate from the OBI and start his first shift on the ambulance, he could easly have qualified as a paramedic and then the cameras rolled again later in the year to catch up with them.They have left certain aspects of the training out of the show. They can not fit everything in. The class i think is from 2013 and they are well into 2014 on the show.
    Yes that is very true and it could well be the case but the specifically said this was his first shift out of training I'm sure everyting was above board it's just very misleading and was done for tv I'm sure

Advertisement