Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The basics on moving to Australia with 2-3 months in LA beforehand

Options
  • 12-05-2015 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Ok so seeing as moving to LA isnt such an easy option Ive decided it would be best to maybe stop off in LA for 2-3 months on the way to Australia.
    Has anyone experience in doing this? I have a degree in Transport Management and Technology and over a year experience working in this industry so I would take a job in the motor industry for sure but also I wouldnt mind trying something new either, also 7 years experience working in a butchers. Need all the advice I can get such as how to line up jobs, how much money to bring, sorting accomodation and all that, Ive never moved out of home prior to this so need to have everything spot on and know what I need to organise :)
    Let me know please if you have any experience in this type of thing guys :)
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Designator wrote: »
    Ok so seeing as moving to LA isnt such an easy option Ive decided it would be best to maybe stop off in LA for 2-3 months on the way to Australia.
    Has anyone experience in doing this? I have a degree in Transport Management and Technology and over a year experience working in this industry so I would take a job in the motor industry for sure but also I wouldnt mind trying something new either, also 7 years experience working in a butchers. Need all the advice I can get such as how to line up jobs, how much money to bring, sorting accomodation and all that, Ive never moved out of home prior to this so need to have everything spot on and know what I need to organise :)
    Let me know please if you have any experience in this type of thing guys :)
    thanks
    You know you cant legally work in the USA though ? A tourist visa is pretty strict on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Designator

I see, is it too expensive to possible spend a month or so there on holidays beforehand does anyone know? Would just like to see that place for a while before heading to Oz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I see, is it too expensive to possible spend a month or so there on holidays beforehand does anyone know? Would just like to see that place for a while before heading to Oz
    We don't know how much money you have so can't even begin to answer that question.

Don't forget you'll need a bit of cash to set yourself up in Australia.

Maybe plan to do it the other way around? Make a few pound in Australia then stop into the States on the way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Australia can be more expensive than the US. Make your $ in Australia and then spend it in the US, provided the Au$ (pacific Peso) hasn't totally collapsed by then.
    Your Butcher experience should get you into Australia on the skills shortage list. Check out IMMI for visas. http://www.immi.gov.au/Pages/Welcome.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You also need to do your research on LA. What do you think you'll find in LA? There is no soul in LA. There are a few famous streets but no centre and plenty of rough areas. The beach towns are nice but they are beach towns. Southern California is nice, wine country is nice...I've spent a fair bit of time in California over the years and the last place I'd be heading back to is LA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you want to spend 2-3 months in the US, you may be asked to provide proof of funds, showing that you can support yourself while you are in the US, without needing to look for work. Coz if you are over there on the ESTA tourist visa waiver, you won't be able to work.

You may also be asked to provide proof of ties to your home county. (Or Australia, if that is where you are going on to next.) The point of these ties is to show that they make it is unlikely that you will want to try to live and work in the US illegally. The ties can be:

- a spouse and/or kids in your home county or destination county.
    - a college degree that you will be returning to complete.
    - a house that you have a mortgage on.
    - a business that you own/run.
    - a full time, permanent job.

If you lack all of the above, as well as proof of sufficient funds, you may be denied entry for the full 90 days. Solo travelers going to the US for extended periods of time, generally face additional scrutiny from USCIS. They set off alarm bells, that people bringing the kids to DisneyWorld for a couple of weeks don't.

Well theres no worry with money, so I basically need to know what is the average that people would be bringing? would 10k do to spend possible a month or 2 in LA without working , and then setting myself up in australia and job hunting/ working?

Well theres no worry with money, so I basically need to know what is the average that people would be bringing? would 10k do to spend possible a month or 2 in LA without working , and then setting myself up in australia and job hunting/ working?

To qualify for the Australian working visa you have to prove you have "sufficient funds" - this is normally $5,000 though they sometimes accept less if you have strong ties to home.

LA is one expensive "city", and you would go crazy in a month, not to mind two. A week is plenty, having been there I really cannot understand your fixation on LA. New York, Chicago, Boston, Miami, Seattle, even San Francisco I could understand. But LA?????

My reason for wanting to spend time in LA is purely for the music scene there, Im a music producer myself and would like to experience the scene in LA and make some more contacts really. I wouldnt be going there to party crazy or anything, just to basically relax and check out their scene

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

athtrasna wrote: »
    To qualify for the Australian working visa you have to prove you have "sufficient funds" - this is normally $5,000 though they sometimes accept less if you have strong ties to home.

LA is one expensive "city", and you would go crazy in a month, not to mind two. A week is plenty, having been there I really cannot understand your fixation on LA. New York, Chicago, Boston, Miami, Seattle, even San Francisco I could understand. But LA?????

Because to someone in dull and dreary Ireland, it looks incredibly glamourous and beautiful, especially if all you know of it, is what you see on TV and movie screens. You really have to be living there on a relatively low paying job, or have your typical horrendous 2 hr commute in the Valley, or spend time there as a tourist with no car, to understand and appreciate what a terrible $hithole LA can be.

• Advertisement

My reason for wanting to spend time in LA is purely for the music scene there, Im a music producer myself and would like to experience the scene in LA and make some more contacts really. I wouldnt be going there to party crazy or anything, just to basically relax and check out their scene

Wow, that's some varied CV you have!! I'd be wary of mentioning the music thing to US immigration officials..there's a fine line between networking and working. Two quality weeks should still see you ok in LA, anything longer and you will go crazy..and possibly bankrupt! Beware cheap hotels...there are some seriously nasty areas in the city.

Advertisement