Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Render before looping?

Options
  • 12-05-2015 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Just a quick question. I record around 1-2 hours of video, then I loop it to around 8 hours of video.

Would it be quicker to render out the 1-2 hours of video into the desired format first and then loop it and render again. Or would that be the same as render the full 8hrs?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

You should do it all in one go

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Thank you.

I'm not very educated on video editing. Can I ask does it go through the same render process no mater if you are rendering to the same format as the video? I just thought it would be smart enough to know it's the same format and skip to 'patching' the loops together?

Thanks again

unfortunately it has to individually render each frame and intra-frame compression doesn't span more then a couple of frames either side so there's no way to process the 1-2 hours once and then continue to write those frames over the next 8 hours.

The process would take longer if you rendered out the video to a single 1-2 hour one, and then had to re-render that footage with the loop as each frame would have to be decompressed (from the now MORE compressed finished video!) and then processed individually.

it could make sense to render it out and then use that footage to do your loops etc if each frame takes a long time to process because of the resolution or bitrate or if it needs to be debayered etc, but I would expect that to not be the case in this instance and it would be much more efficient for there to be only one render.

I'd recommend you do a one or two minute version first so that you don't spend several hours rendering an 8 hour video only to end up with too much / too little compression or something else.

May I ask why you need to loop this video over 8 hours? If it's for maybe playing on a TV in the background over and over again you could be better off trying to use a loop function on the video player you're using

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Thank you very much for enlightening me. I will try a test with a few minute video. Seems an obvious thing to do now you have said it.

I record nature sounds for sleeping and meditation and upload them to Youtube. 8 hours is a good nights sleep so that is why they are that long.

Thanks for your time.

that makes sense! I hope it works without too much hassle

• Advertisement
Advertisement