Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation/Proveb Help

Options
  • 12-05-2015 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I'm just looking for assistance with a translation into Irish if there was anyone who could help me out please.

The quote I'm hoping to translate is:

"Experience is not what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to you"

Or, preferably if anyone was aware of any old Irish proverbs with the same meaning that would be even better. I have looked online for some but have been unable to come up with anything.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance provided.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Is minic a leanann seiftiúlacht an gá.
    This might be a little close....it means ingenuity is often preceded by want.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

That quote is as much a clever play on words as it is an incisive thought. It can be difficult to translate such concepts from one language to another in a concise manner.

"Ní hé taithí na rudaí a tharlaíonn duit ach conas mar a déileálann tú leis na rudaí sin."

That's a very cumbersome attempt at a straight translation and may not be correct.

I'm sure there are more eloquent ways of expressing the concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Snag Darach

As obair a faightear an fhoghlaim.
    It's from work that knowledge is acquired.
    meaning that if you don't do anything you won't learn anything.

This is about the closest proverb I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CeeUnit

Thanks for all the replies. It is much appreciated.

Advertisement