Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speedify - combine ISP connections

Options
  • 12-05-2015 5:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried speedify.com ?

Apparently it's a PC/Mac software based solution that lets you combine two internet connections to increase your speeds. It uses channel bonding.

Eg DSL + 3G

Seems like you could potentially increase your 3G speeds by using a 3G USB dongle plus a 3G WiFi router simultaneously

It's a paid service but there is also free trial

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

yuloni wrote: »
    I see it's from the Connectify crowd, I think they used to call it Connectify Dispatch

I never tried it... all these channel bonding crowds came too late for me! That said, the 1GB free trial is pretty good so I think I'll give it a run with my DSL and HSPA mobile connections

There's an Irish crowd called Multipath Networks who launched to a bit of fanfare last year. Is the same concept but they supply a smart router to do the client end bonding as opposed to a software bonder used by Connectify / Speedify. With a router doing the bonding you can run the whole house / office
    Both product pages on that Multipath Networks site are 404-ing.
    Looks like http://www.netcelero.com are somehow related.
    Like you say a hardware solution would be preferable so that you could use it with tablets etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I had a netcelro unit on trial for a few months. The client ended up not needing it but the service is excellent.

True bonding, failover, fixed ip.

Really good service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

A correction to what I said earlier - Speedify was previously called Connectify Switchboard, not Connectify Dispatch. When Switchboard first came out they allowed users to host their own bonding server but it seems that's no more... you have to use their cloud and pay their prices. Also, while you can have the software on multiple machines, you can have only one bonding session running at any one time

If Netcelero / Multipath Networks is still servicing, it would be useful to see what their pricing is like as it looks the better product IMO. There's also a crowd in the UK called Sharedband who use the same setup as Netcelero / MP but they would only supply to a UK address... not sure is this still the case

Netcelero pricing depends on bandwidth required, pm me if you want the prices....

Do people think using 2 x 3G SIMs would result in approximately 2 x speed or would it just split the usual feed over the two I wonder?

WiFi is 3G from phone, Marvell Yukon is ethernet from 3G Wifi router (TP Link)

Both on same network

First screenshot shows unimpressive speedtest.net result

Second shows performance using Youtube - you can see it's trying to use both connections alright but it's not
    working very well in my current configuration.

• Advertisement

Perhaps you can change the speed server to something other than France? I noted above that they have a speed server in Dublin which should offer shorter RTT

Didn't see an Irish server in the list

This morning I have seen benefits of using the two SIMs. Bursting up to 10Mb when the main SIM maxes out at 6.
    The software is very slick, I really like the service.
    As we said though, need some way of being able to share the bonded connection via wifi.

They do list Dublin as a location: http://speedify.com/features/speed-servers/

Perhaps they limit the selection for the trial... which is a little defeatist

For sharing, you can turn your Windows laptop or PC into a router of sorts quite easily with Internet Connection sharing. You could share your Ethernet port, pop a switch onto it and plug your devices and even a WiFi AP into it. Wouldn't be my idea of an ideal setup by any means and I'm sure there are more capable methods using a master server... but it should work

I'll hopefully trial it with two 3 mobile broadband connections before the weekend just to see what sort of combined upload I can achieve

When you launch the client it lists the servers (in real time). No Dublin there at the time.

Haven't had much luck with ICS - must try again. Looks like I may have to dig out a USB wifi yoke.

Burned through my free allowance last night though.

Check out the Advanced View in Settings on the client - pretty graphs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭funnyname

Would love to try this for working from home but I doubt I'd be allowed download the software to my work PC. Is there a workaround that I could use to make the most of my eircom DSL and FWA connections? Maybe us a non work pc as an intermediate and connect work pc to that for internet?

I tried a load balancing router and it didn't work as I had hoped, bonding would be great for me as I could throw tethering from my phone as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭funnyname

Anyone?
    funnyname wrote: »
    Would love to try this for working from home but I doubt I'd be allowed download the software to my work PC. Is there a workaround that I could use to make the most of my eircom DSL and FWA connections? Maybe us a non work pc as an intermediate and connect work pc to that for internet?

I tried a load balancing router and it didn't work as I had hoped, bonding would be great for me as I could throw tethering from my phone as well.

Advertisement