Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemara Adventure Challenge numbers

Options
  • 11-05-2015 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

Did Connemara adventure challenge there at the weekend and noticed the numbers are well down. I've done it 3 times now and remember in the past there being approx 500-600 people doing it (maybe more). On Saturday I reckon there was about 250 doing it....why are the numbers down so much?

Was it a fad that has passed? Is there just more variety now and people are going elsewhere? ...is it all very 2011??

I'd love to hear people's views on this...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Hubby and I did it a few years back. Fun day. We signed up to do it the following year but hubby had to have surgery so we had to cancel. We lost a lot of money! I didn't like their attitude when I tired to request to cancel/defer our entry. Wouldn't do it or any of their events after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

My fiancée deferred one year and there was no problem. Have raced a number of times with them between Connemara, Gaelforce West & North. Always found them to be very approachable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

murrayp4 wrote: »
    Did Connemara adventure challenge there at the weekend and noticed the numbers are well down. I've done it 3 times now and remember in the past there being approx 500-600 people doing it (maybe more). On Saturday I reckon there was about 250 doing it....why are the numbers down so much?

Was it a fad that has passed? Is there just more variety now and people are going elsewhere? ...is it all very 2011??

I'd love to hear people's views on this...

Cyclical, like all sports IMO.

So much going on and a steady stream of people taking up running all the time. For many, once that box is ticked they move on to the next challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

lot of competition now, its a long spin down to killary , even for me and i live in mayo, theres a lot of other stuff on every weekend closer to hand,

funny enough i had no idea it was on until i saw the photos of the start at the weekend, unlike gaelforce not to bombard me with info on it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

woody1 wrote: »
    lot of competition now, its a long spin down to killary , even for me and i live in mayo, theres a lot of other stuff on every weekend closer to hand,

funny enough i had no idea it was on until i saw the photos of the start at the weekend, unlike gaelforce not to bombard me with info on it ..

Wow you're in Mayo and you think its a bit of a spin. I'm from Mayo but living in Dublin, but I love to get down home for stuff like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Animella

Isn't the first part of the cycle for this through a wood on gravel? I did the first women's adventure race there ( the one Vogue Williams did!) and that section terrified me. A friend had a bad fall in the woods, and another friend fell at the same part last year. It was an event aimed at complete beginners but anyone with no experience would have found it very tough.

Anyway - i'd love to have done the CAC but that bike bit put me off. There were There are so many other events to choose from now so I'm sure that's one reason.

Advertisement