Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing windows 7 (pro) language

Options
  • 11-05-2015 10:29pm

I am running windows 7 professional (in English) on my laptop, and I want to change the language to French.

I am aware that, officially, this is not possible. But having to switch my brain between languages every time I turn from my desktop to my laptop is driving me round this twist.

How can I get around this problem? I cannot believe that it can really be so impossible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Possible, in theory; but Microsoft made a moneygrabbing hames of the procedure.

You're expected to buy Windows 7 Pro to Ultimate Anytime upgrade, which gives access to language packs.

But the anytime-upgrade -online purchase only worked in selected countries; and the retail version upgrade is difficult to source now without blindly trusting some questionable amazon.co.uk supplier. And it was always high priced.

Edit- actually since you're in France, do you want to try whether the procedure in
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows7/help/videos/upgrade-to-another-edition-of-windows-7-by-using-windows-anytime-upgrade
    is still live and working? After running a backup.

The windows 8.1 pro upgrade would give you access to the language packs; but it might be worth waiting for the early adopter upgrade discount on windows 10 Pro in a few months (which might be free, or might have some subscription plan attached; currently up in the air).

Or a microsoft volume license would give access to windows 7 enterprise, but how you'd purchase and upgrade to this is non-trivial.

Advertisement