Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Charging bay blocked or unmarked? - Contact Your Councillors!

Options
  • 11-05-2015 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭

SI 325/2014 authorises local authorities to mark and signpost charging bays and perform parking enforcement actions such as fines (preferred) or clamping.

To get these measures proposed and passed we need to make our voices heard. Email, phone or meet with your local councillor. And don't forget to bring up the issue at the door next election season.

For Dublin City you can find your local councillors here:
    http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-your-council-your-city-councillors/find-your-local-councillors

http://www.boundarycommittee.ie/reports/Dublin-City-Council-Map.pdf

For other local councils you can find contact details on their websites.

For Dublin city in particular we're trying to get the issue discussed at the next council meeting. So if you've ever showed up at a charger only to find it blocked this is your chance to do something about it!

Comments

Waste of time,

Check out this reply from an E-mail I sent back in (2013) !!!!!!

"Many thanks for your email. The charge points that you refer to were recently installed by ESB Networks. The works have not been completed as yet as there is line painting, signage and some commissioning outstanding. We have been advised that these works will be completed shortly. Concurrently Carlow Town Council needs to make an amendment to the Traffic and Parking Bye Laws which again will be completed shortly. Once these items are completed the bays will be fully available for EV users,

Regards,"

Brian O'Donovan,
    Town Engineer,
    Innealltóir Feidhmiúcháin Sinsir,
    Carlow Local Authorities.
    Comhairle Chontae Ceatharlach.

2 years later same problem ! So I'm going to reply to his e-mail again just to see what the excuse is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

According to the Irish EV group, wardens in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown have recently been given instructions to fine cars that park in charging spots without charging. They are also painting the spots green and erecting signs. It seems to various quite a bit between counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

They are also painting the spots green and erecting signs. It seems to various quite a bit between counties.
    It's up to the owner of the land the charge point is on to mark the bay according to the SI. Until that is done this SI can't be enforced. The Irish EV Owners Association is working with ESB to get the councils to enact the SI. Several have already done so. Personally, I have seen s huge improvement in Cork City since they are now all painted and signed and fines are being issued according to the SI. Only ever blocked when in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

2 years later same problem ! So I'm going to reply to his e-mail again just to see what the excuse is.

Well, to be fair until the SI was issued a year later it would have been illegal to mark the bays as restricted to EVs only. These things fall off the agenda unless you keep up the pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

cros13 wrote: »
    These things fall off the agenda unless you keep up the pressure.

We are :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    According to the Irish EV group, wardens in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown have recently been given instructions to fine cars that park in charging spots without charging. They are also painting the spots green and erecting signs. It seems to various quite a bit between counties.

Got very excited last night when I spotted an ICE parked at a charging bay in Cabinteely village with a parking ticket. Turned out the ticket was issued during chargeable hours and there was no pay-and-display on view - so yet to witness an ICE being fined for using a charging bay :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Waste of time,

Check out this reply from an E-mail I sent back in (2013) !!!!!!

"Many thanks for your email. The charge points that you refer to were recently installed by ESB Networks. The works have not been completed as yet as there is line painting, signage and some commissioning outstanding. We have been advised that these works will be completed shortly. Concurrently Carlow Town Council needs to make an amendment to the Traffic and Parking Bye Laws which again will be completed shortly. Once these items are completed the bays will be fully available for EV users,

Regards,"

Brian O'Donovan,
    Town Engineer,
    Innealltóir Feidhmiúcháin Sinsir,
    Carlow Local Authorities.
    Comhairle Chontae Ceatharlach.

But that's from the LA's Engineer. He would have been instructed to reply in this manner. Until the councillors make a motion and pass it, the staff cannot do anything about it.

I would agree that people should lobby the their councillors with regards to this matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Funny policy in a hotel this week.

Hotel carpark, didn't *need* to charge, but had a look out of curiosity. Petrol car in the EV space. Hmm.

Took a photo, popped over to reception and let them know.

"Oh, we use that as staff parking, do you want to charge? We'll ask the staff member to move".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

pwurple wrote: »
    Funny policy in a hotel this week.

Hotel carpark, didn't *need* to charge, but had a look out of curiosity. Petrol car in the EV space. Hmm.

Took a photo, popped over to reception and let them know.

"Oh, we use that as staff parking, do you want to charge? We'll ask the staff member to move".

As posted elsewhere Hastngs Hotel Group have now informed me that only their Residents will have use of the CPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Dexter1979 wrote: »
    We are :-)

I had a couple of articles printed in the Mourne Observer recently, where as I posted,the Dept for Rural Development have said "It is Illegal to park in EV bays since 2013.", but they have handed responsibility over to local "Super Councils" on April 1st.
    However 2 days ago I spoke to an "Enforcement Officer" who told me he now makes a note of the Ice car reg, and the Council will write out to the offender. No mention yet of a fine, here in S.Down ,but a 90 pound fine in Belfast..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

reboot wrote: »
    As posted elsewhere Hastngs Hotel Group have now informed me that only their Residents will have use of the CPs.

I was a resident...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Advertisement