Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I do?

Options
  • 11-05-2015 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I will try my best to keep this on point.

I have moved into an office, where one of the others I share with, is making me increasingly angry. There have been three incidents so far which I feel are completely unacceptable, as I would never dream of doing such things.

- First occasion, on returning from lunch, when the office was empty, I found Employee A (for the sake of the post we shall name them A & B) rooting through papers on my desk and also reading through my diary. I must add here sometimes I may have sensitive information in my files which I am working on and Employee A would not hold a role responsible enough to have free access to this information.

- Second occasion, Employee A waited until employee B had left the room and then proceeded to go and use Employee B's computer in front of me. I was not sure if this was prior agreed to, but on return of Employee B, I questioned this as it did not seem right to me and I was correct, no permission had been given. Employee B would also handle sensitive information which Employee A definitely does not have access to.

After the second occasion, Employee B (who would be seen as my unofficial supervisor) is equally annoyed by the carry on and told me that it was reported to our Direct Line. However nothing has been said by the Direct Line in my opinion, as I am led to believe that Employee A and our Direct Line have out of work relations.

The last straw for me was the third occasion, similar to the first, I was returning from lunch to an empty office and found Employee A digging through my desk drawers.

Since this last incident I have made it quite clear that I am locking my drawers and since the first incident I make sure I do not leave a single blank sheet of paper on my desk, I also lock my computer if I am only stepping outside the office for one minute.

I do want to report this behaviour, as I am not happy with this. However, to do so I would have to go above my direct line for reasons above, I am also unsure of how to approach this?

Since the last incident, Employee A, has been in my opinion, trying their very hardest to draw a reaction from me, by delving into my responsibilities which are definitely not Employee A's. It has been long known Employee A is jealous of my progression within the company. I feel Employee A is trying to draw me out so that I slip up and can be sent packing. This I will not succumb to. As I am now, I am ensuring not to give the smallest hint that I am unhappy, continuing to be civil and polite to Employee A.

It was suggested to me to see above my direct line and to phrase my concern as follows:
    "I would like if you could give me some clarity on my job role and responsibilities as I believe there is some confusion between myself and Employee A on whose responsibility the (_______) is?"

I know full well that it is my responsibility but this was to suggest that Employee A needs reminding that it is not their resposibility and they are a hindrance taking it upon themself to get involved in my role.

It was also suggested to me to phrase my concern regarding the three major issues as follows: "I am also just wondering whether there is a closed desk policy in this workplace?"
    I assume they would like to know why this question is being asked and I could then explain.

I am just worried to do this for a number of reasons:
    - I will be going above my direct line, which could be seen negatively.
    - I do not want to be seen as having a general moan about another employee.
    - I do not want to cause tension in the office, creating an unbearable place of work.
    - We do not have a HR person to speak to on site.

Any opinions or suggestions are very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Its hard when people have personal relations in the office, it messes with what shold be a logical obvious line of command and responsibility.

In this case I'd advise;
    1. Do as you are now and lock away confidenal material, your desk and computer, you can set the computer to lock after a few minutes activity.

2. Ask the nosy employee not to go through your desk without specific permission.

3. I don't think I'd make a complaint given what you describe, you could be bringing pain on yourself in the long run..

Just remove opportunities for this person to access sensitive data.

Indeed one office I was in would have spot checks where a manager would walk round desks and access security, confiscate sensitive files and stuff left unsecure.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,752 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Be very careful here, OP.

If you make a complaint, you will be admitting that previously you left confidential information unsecured. That may not go well for you.

Make sure you are squeaky clean from now on, and start making a record of incidents from now on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Since this last incident I have made it quite clear that I am locking my drawers and since the first incident I make sure I do not leave a single blank sheet of paper on my desk, I also lock my computer if I am only stepping outside the office for one minute.

I do want to report this behaviour, as I am not happy with this. However, to do so I would have to go above my direct line for reasons above, I am also unsure of how to approach this?

If you are dealing with sensitive information then it is your responsibility to safe guard that information, which you have not done! Had you done so, none of these incidents could have happened and for all you know that person may be reporting back on all he was able to do because of your failings!

Advertisement