Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No access to Hastings Hotel Charge points, unless you stay overnight.

Options
  • 11-05-2015 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Slieve Donard Hastings Hotel (Newcastle) reception inform me that I will no longer be allowed to plug in to CP unless I stay overnight. Management, not available to comment, all at meetings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Surely its reasonable for them to reserve usage for paying customers?

Have you given them any business?

Edit: If visiting for a meal or drinks, most hotels validate your parking - there is no direct cost in making a parking space available. There is however a direct cost of letting you charge your EV. I can see businesses having a standard charge (sorry pun not intended) for using their charger, especially when public charging has to be paid for

I suppose every Kwh adds up and that's the way they might look at it and there's no way to know how many Kwh you've used, though all they have to do is install a meter and that's probably more hassle than they want.

I would say if the charge point is needed then I would be fine with them not allowing someone to use it but not if it's not needed then it's just being really mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Aw, I wonder were they getting flooded with people taking advantage?

Castlemartyr hotel and maryborough hotels in cork both let me charge without an overnight, while I was having lunch or at a business function.

Did you have any business in the hotel at all, or were you just passing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

homer911 wrote: »
    Surely its reasonable for them to reserve usage for paying customers?

Have you given them any business?

Edit: If visiting for a meal or drinks, most hotels validate your parking - there is no direct cost in making a parking space available. There is however a direct cost of letting you charge your EV. I can see businesses having a standard charge (sorry pun not intended) for using their charger, especially when public charging has to be paid for

Yes I have given them a great deal of business,its really the only hotel one can have meeting at,the Lighthouse is a nice quite coffee shop.
    However I have in conjunction with Carra kept the CP in working order for residents and guests of the Hotel over the last two years, when no one in the Hotel could be aware that the CP was out of order. Afaik they did not pay for the CP, nor is it their electricity that is being used? This could be checked with Ecarni.com, but don,t expect a reply anytime soon. Am in the process of e mail discussion with management, and I would not expect to visit the Slieve Donard now until June. It is only fair to exit the facility until the Open is closed. but as DRD point out CPs on privste land, 50% of them in S.Down, can do more or less what they choose.On any normal day the hotel car park would have around 50 or so empty spaces and the I have only ever seen one other EV, a Tesla using the CP in the 2 year period. With a suggested 5,000 cars a day expected and two out of the four CPs not available for a Zoe charge, and no penalty signs up, wardens and Psni not interested, we live in interesting times for EVS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Hmm, sounds like you have a point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

homer911 wrote: »
    Hmm, sounds like you have a point

The Hotel management have quickly and generously responded as follows, "The CPs are available throughout the year for the use of guests to the hotel,visitors to the region and any individual who requires the use of the CP. During the Irish Open, access to the hotel will be restricted to our car parks have been secured by the European Tour as part of the Irish Open tournament, I am sorry if this will be an inconvenience, and thank you for your understanding.
    General manager.
    Fair enough, better to light a candle than curse the darkness.
    Has anyone seen the Tourist Board, Irish EV owners,or Dept of Rural Development?

Advertisement