Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Carry on allowance

Options
  • 11-05-2015 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Flying to Germany in the coming days and I see the carry on allowance is now a measly 10 KG (which can be made up of one piece of luggage and one personal item)

Has anyone flown with them since the introduction of this new allowance and able to comment on how strict they are?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They rarely ask to weigh your carry-on gear so if possible, have the larger of your bags slung over your shoulder when checking-in and handing over your boarding card at the gate, you'll be fine. Just don't show up with a bag the size of the kitchen sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,276 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've flown with them in the last 6 months and my bag was not weighed. If it's not particularly large looking I would say the chances of it being weighed are low. Their main concern would be carry on bags that are too large to fit in the overhead bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Sounds promising..
    I tend to bring a sports bag and a smaller bag over the shoulders so i'll chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

This isn't a new allowance, it's been like this for years! I've rarely had my hand luggage weighed, the only place where it happened to me a few times was Frankfurt. If you only have hand luggage then you can avoid this by checking in online, since they usually only weigh it at the check in counters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

They tend to sometimes ask people to put their luggage in the hold if loads of people are bringing on hand luggage only, it is free though and if you're not in a rush it's not much of a hassle. Aer Lingus Regional have asked for my bag to be weighed previously, their over-head luggage bins are very small though.

On a side note, when coming home from Manchester recently, Ryanair insisted on my girlfriend putting her bag in the hold (for free) apparently their new t&c's say only the first 90 on board get to definitively bring their bags on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

miezekatze wrote: »
    This isn't a new allowance, it's been like this for years! I've rarely had my hand luggage weighed, the only place where it happened to me a few times was Frankfurt. If you only have hand luggage then you can avoid this by checking in online, since they usually only weigh it at the check in counters.

Has it been 10kg for years?
    I have in my head that it was 15kg last time I flew with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Has it been 10kg for years? I have in my head that it was 15kg last time I flew with them

I think that might have been Ryanair.. don't remember it ever being more than 10 with aer lingus.

Advertisement