Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobbridge been taken advantage!

Options
  • 11-05-2015 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm wondering if someone can help me.
    I'm looking to make a complaint about the jobbridge intern ship scheme. But I don't know what steps to take in doing so.
    Companies are taken complete advantage of this scheme.
    Firstly I was working with a company for 4/5 years., they took an intern on under this scheme, after the 9 months they toke the same person on with an other intern scheme but under a different title, this happened again at the end of the second internship, in which my days where cut from 5 to 3 and then from 3 to 2 days. The person who was doing the internship was doing my usuall duties. then in the end they cut me down to 1 day so I obviously left the job. and the person doing intern ship finished up her intern ship and was taken on my the company for 2days a week. While the company started someone new on the internship. completely taken advantage!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

It's not very hard to find! https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/GENENQ.aspx?subject=JobBridge%20Compliance%20Queries

The chances of you succeeding in getting anywhere are nearly zero as you've the left the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

micosoft wrote: »
    It's not very hard to find! https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/GENENQ.aspx?subject=JobBridge%20Compliance%20Queries

The chances of you succeeding in getting anywhere are nearly zero as you've the left the job.

Grounds for constructive dismissal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I don't know why anyone would have anything to do with jobsbridge scheme, it's the lowest of the low. Anyone doing this mustn't value themselves at all. 'I'll work for free for 9 months' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The greatest travesty of a scheme ever foisted on the Irish people ever.

This is not the only example of work being displaced by govt subsidised labour in the marketplace.

Your hours have been replaced by SW funded labour and now you have no job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

doolox wrote: »
    The greatest travesty of a scheme ever foisted on the Irish people ever.

This is not the only example of work being displaced by govt subsidised labour in the marketplace.

Your hours have been replaced by SW funded labour and now you have no job.

Without knowing much about it, I don't have any great problem with the scheme. If someone is dense enough to apply for it, they may not be able to add any value to the employer in question in the first instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 tlp2015

thank you for the feed back.
    I have lodged a complaint and I also went to citzen advice they informed me that a company is only allowed to take on 1internship so clearly my old employer is completely taken advantage of this scheme.
    I can't do unfair dismissal.
    but thank you for your help

tlp2015 wrote: »
    I have lodged a complaint and I also went to citzen advice they informed me that a company is only allowed to take on 1internship so clearly my old employer is completely taken advantage of this scheme.
    I can't do unfair dismissal.
    but thank you for your help

Why not? Constructive dismissal rather than unfair, as in you were left with no option. Your local Citizens advice will have a Solicitor once a month who will give free advice. Contact them and find out when they attend and get their advice.
    You said your boss took on the Intern on a different scheme, might that be Jobs Plus? Nothing wrong in him doing that, apart from acting the bo**** with you. Don't let it go. You have been wronged and should be compensated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Rightwing wrote: »
    I don't know why anyone would have anything to do with jobsbridge scheme, it's the lowest of the low. Anyone doing this mustn't value themselves at all. 'I'll work for free for 9 months' :rolleyes:

I can't speak for everything Jobsbridge does or doesn't do but nearly everyone I know who's been on on it has gotten a job at the other end of it.

meglome wrote: »
    I can't speak for everything Jobsbridge does or doesn't do but nearly everyone I know who's been on on it has gotten a job at the other end of it.

I'm one of those! JobBridge can be positive and invaluable in gaining experience, especially if you are entering a new work field. However, it's ass***es like OPs employer that are giving it a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tlp2015

but are they taken other people's jobs?

• Advertisement

In my case, I was brought in to gain experience, something they do in all departments on an ongoing basis. They liked what they saw and offered me a job. I didn't replace anyone.

It depends on the size of the company, and a company may take on numerous interns if they have a large enough number of employees.

At a previous employer we took on interns for positions for which we would not have employed someone. We got top level candidates including PhD's (they didn't get the gig). This was in media where we would have had plenty of people applying for intern type positions anyway, this way the people got an extra €50 per week. I thought it was a win win.

Advertisement