Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty second hand phone

Options
  • 11-05-2015 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

Hi, I bought an iPhone second hand online from a well known site. The seller assured me it was in perfect condition when we met up to complete the transaction. The battery is faulty however, once it reaches 30% or below it dies.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should approach this? Should I ask for a refund, or ask for money for a replacement battery? Do I have any rights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

By all means ask for a full or partial refund but your rights depend on whether the seller is a business or a private seller.

If the seller is operating as a business then you have the backing of consumer law with the exception of distance selling regulations (the fact you met before finalising the transaction means this is not a distance selling contract). The Small Claims Court can rule on the issue if you can't come to an agreement with the business.

If it was a private seller then your rights are very much limited and you may need to take him to a court to force a ruling. You can't use the Small Claims Court against a private seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

If it was bought on Advents / donedeal etc then realistically you will not get anything.

Replace the battery yourself, you can buy it online for €15 and there are plenty of youtube videos on how to do it.

• Moderators Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Spocker

The battery might just need to be reset - I had the same issue with my <1 year old OnePlus One, where the battery would die on reaching 30% I fixed it using the info this this thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/2l1gem/phone_dies_when_battery_reaches_30/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Spocker wrote: »
    The battery might just need to be reset - I had the same issue with my <1 year old OnePlus One, where the battery would die on reaching 30% I fixed it using the info this this thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/2l1gem/phone_dies_when_battery_reaches_30/

This is a classic sign of a faulty battery on an iPhone.

• Moderators Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Spocker

davo2001 wrote: »
    This is a classic sign of a faulty battery on an iPhone.

Perhaps; I was merely suggesting it was something the OP could try before looking for a refund or repair

• Advertisement
Advertisement