Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Player (NBC)

Options
  • 10-05-2015 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭

2015-0509-Upfront2015-The-Player-KeyArt-1920x1080-VF-300x169.jpg

From the executive producers of “The Blacklist” and starring Wesley Snipes and Philip Winchester (“Strike Back,” “Fringe”) comes an action-packed Las Vegas thriller about a former military operative turned security expert who is drawn into a high-stakes game where an organization of wealthy individuals gamble on his ability to stop some of the biggest crimes imaginable from playing out. Can he take them down from the inside and get revenge for the death of his wife, or is it true what they say: The house always wins.
    The cast also includes Charity Wakefield and Damon Gupton.

http://www.ksitetv.com/the-player/the-player-first-photos-trailer-for-the-new-wesley-snipes-drama/67063

Looks good and is from the makers of the Blacklist

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Not sure I'll bother watching after that trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks ropey enough alright... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Mr E wrote: »
    Looks ropey enough alright... :)

I'll probably watch an episode or two to see what's it like. There are plenty of new shows coming in the Autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 85,532 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The other guy from Strike Back also has a new show on NBC

• Registered Users Posts: 60,419 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Have always liked Philip Winchester always felt Crusoe deserved more of a chance.

• Advertisement

Starts tonight Stateside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,338 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The other guy from Strike Back also has a new show on NBC

Blindspot - watched the pilot and it has a kind of Blacklist feel to it as well

Well it's basically Person of Interest.

Enjoyable but not sure if it will go past a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭sioda

I liked it easy watch might do well with blacklist leading it in

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I like this a lot. Person of Interest blended with Leverage. You can see John Rogers' influence too - it has an infectious energy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

if they promise Snipes will utter "always bet on black" at some point i will watch this .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭squonk

3 episodes in and I'm really, really liking this show. I dont' think it's really fair to compare it to PoI as PoI is a much darker and possibly accomplished show.

The Player reminds me of those 80's type shows that teamed up an ass kicker with a tech buddy, so I'm thinking Knight Rider or something like that. It's certainly got that 80's 'tech is amazing' feel to it. It feels like a cross between Mission Impossible and the afformentioned Knight Rider to me, sans the car obviously. For me it harks back to a more innocent TV time when resources were unlimited and tech could do anything... right now!

The guy's back story is a great sub plot and the conspiracy surrounding his wife and Wesly Snipes' part, or non part, in it is pretty good. Snipes himself is great as the pit boss. The girl playing the dealer is great as well and seems to have her own little conspiracy going on but we'll see.

I just hpe this survives the cancellation bear as I think it's just great TV. 40 minutes of pure 'turn your brain off' entertainment that we don't really get nowadays. I think it's right up there with Scorpion as modern reincarnations of 80's type shows that don't need to be dark or have a meaning to be successful at what they do.

Finally, the action scenes are great. I think that's what makes the show stand out for me. The Player and Dealer both seem capable of kicking ass and are equally comfortable in the field. It just seems a cut above other shows in that it seems to be action oriented and when it does that it does it very well.

I could keep raving but I'll need to stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

squonk wrote: »
    I just hpe this survives the cancellation bear as I think it's just great TV.
    On the "renew/cancel index" for NBC, it's the lowest indexed show for NBC, and most likely to be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭squonk

On the "renew/cancel index" for NBC, it's the lowest indexed show for NBC, and most likely to be cancelled.

I know! I've since seen that. It's a real shame however I have a habit of not just loving but adoring shows that are prime for cancellation. I really liked Intelleignece last year as well. I mean, by comparison, Blindspot which seems fairly certain of making a season order isn't really revving my engine at all.

Wesley Snipes finally gets some proper fight scenes. Another good episode

Not looking too good for the show, episode order cut from 13 episodes to 9

http://tvline.com/2015/10/23/the-player-trimmed-order-9-episodes-nbc/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Not overly surprised; it's just a wee bit to generic action series with secret cabaal (which appears to be one of the latest "Let's all do this stuff" plots like zombie series were a few years ago)

Advertisement