Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf V 1.6 FSI Fuel issues

Options
  • 10-05-2015 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi,

I was looking about buying a 2004-06 Golf FSI 1.6, perhaps even an auto/tiptronic.

I'm to understand all these models have the same 6 speed gearbox in manual or auto guise? If so that would be perfect for me, long 6th gear for motorway, and auto for city. Any owners comment what the RPM @ 120km/h is?

I've heard many horror stories about issues with it being a direct injection engine (carbon buildup on valves, as they aren't getting washed with petrol), and needing super unleaded to run smoothly. Is this still true?

I've haven't even seen any stations offering higher octane fuel in years.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭magher

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I have a manual 07 Fsi. Rpm at 120 is under 3000. They are direct injection but run perfectly on 95 ron.

The car has never given me any bother and is still lovely to drive and has a decent interior. Ok on fuel economy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

magher wrote: »
    Anyone?

I doubt an ordinary road car needs high octane fuel, unless its an engine with an extremely high compression ratio.

Carbon in an engine is usually from the engine not getting to operating temp quickly/often enough ( short trips, lots of idling) There has never been petrol on exhaust valves, and they seem to function alright.

But I really dont know these engines well, so cant swear by them.

Advertisement