Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What distance is a .22lr able for rabbits/foxes and with what ammo?

Options
  • 10-05-2015 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm thinking about buying a .22lr and want to know what distance it is lethal to for rabbits and foxes and what would be the best ammo to get? Any help greatly appreciated ðŸ‘

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I have shot rabbits out to 120m, a .22lr isn't really a fox gun. I wouldn't use it for foxes but if i had to for some reason or another i would keep the distance very short 40-50m

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Leonard18

juice1304 wrote: »
    I have shot rabbits out to 120m, a .22lr isn't really a fox gun. I wouldn't use it for foxes but if i had to for some reason or another i would keep the distance very short 40-50m

What would be your usual ammo for rabbits? Cheers for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

juice1304 wrote: »

10-4 on that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Please don't try to shoot foxes with 22LR 'till you have had a look at their anatomy in detail.

The 22LR is not really the right tool for the job - yes, it can be done, but the learning curve is long and shallow.

For rabbits, try different ammo until you find an acceptable balance between accuracy and range: If you like to keep it simple, try hard-hitting ammo like CCI Velocitor and keep the distance short - say 80yds max - and hit them on the shoulder or in the head. This takes the wind/elevation out of the equation for beginners.

For many years, I zeroed my 22Lr to bullseye at 25yds and assumed max point blank range of 75yds (MPBR)

i.e.; bullet hits bullseye at 25yds

- rises to approx. 1" high at 50yds

- falls back to exact bullseye at 75yds

......continues falling at longer range.

If you really need to kill a fox, stick to headshots at 40-50yds until you get proficient.

Subsonics require more work, but you could start out on them equally. Knowing your bullet trajectory/ performance in wind and the distance to target are essential for success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

yubabill1 wrote: »
    Please don't try to shoot foxes with 22LR 'till you have had a look at their anatomy in detail.

The 22LR is not really the right tool for the job - yes, it can be done, but the learning curve is long and shallow.

For rabbits, try different ammo until you find an acceptable balance between accuracy and range: If you like to keep it simple, try hard-hitting ammo like CCI Velocitor and keep the distance short - say 80yds max - and hit them on the shoulder or in the head. This takes the wind/elevation out of the equation for beginners.

For many years, I zeroed my 22Lr to bullseye at 25yds and assumed max point blank range of 75yds (MPBR)

If you really need to kill a fox, stick to headshots at 40-50yds until you get proficient.

Subsonics require more work, but you could start out on them equally. Knowing your bullet trajectory/ performance in wind and the distance to target are essential for success.

Well said and accurate information

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Leonard18

yubabill1 wrote: »

I wouldn't chance going near a fox for the first while, it was just for future reference, that's great information anyway so thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

The only way you'll find the best ammunition is to go to your local gun shop , buy a box of everything available in .22lr and then spend an afternoon testing them out. I have two .22 rifles , the Cz loves CCI subsonics , I can get 5 shots touching each other at 60 yards....but my Marlin hates CCI , they wont group at all... It loves Eley subsonics , yet the Cz does not :rolleyes:

Thankfully .22 ammo is reasonably cheap so go ahead and buy as many different brands as you can afford and hey you'll have fun testing them out on paper.

I can confidently knock rabbits with a clean head shot out to 80/90 yards , but wouldnt go further but thats just me.

As for foxes - I have definitely taken more foxes with my .22lr than I have with any other gun and this is purely by chance when out after rabbits or checking the traps , I always have the .22 in the jeep or tractor ! Id rather let a fox go on his way than shoot it over say 50 or 60 yards with the .22 !

Advertisement