Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Show Host

Options
  • 09-05-2015 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Wouldn't Sean Moncrieff make a great Late Late show host? He was super on "Don't Feed the Gondolas" (just checked wikipedia, that was ages ago!).

The flagship Irish chatshow needs a funny person. Look at the great Chat Shows in the USA (Letterman et al.) and the UK (Wossy (when he was on BBC), Graham Nortan). The hosts are funny people who can, when required, hold intelligent conversations.

Looking at Irish people in the media, we don't have many who tick those boxes. Moncrieff absolutely does though, smart, funny and likable.

All due respect to Tubs, he's a real pro, but he shouldn't have that gig. With Ray Darcy moving to RTE, I'm worried that he will get it next time around; more of the same - maybe a little less so, but only a little.

There should be a referendum for decisions of this magnitude :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't think Moncreiff would have any interest in it.

Any interviews I've read with him and he seems very happy where he is at the moment.
    He presented the comedy panel game show Don’t Feed the Gondolas from 1997 to 2001, and television never really knew what else to do with him. It wasn’t that he didn’t get mainstream television, it was more that mainstream television didn’t get him. “Essentially you were a waster if you didn’t aspire to present the Late Late at some point in your life,” is how he puts it. And he did not aspire to present the Late Late . So he gave up telly. “And where I am now is better than where I was. It’s 10 times more interesting.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/sean-moncrieff-you-were-a-waster-if-you-didn-t-aspire-to-present-the-late-late-1.1759294

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭HellishHeat

Well, that's that then. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I suppose he has so much more freedom and fun on his show than he'd ever have on the late late so why move?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Tubridy is well into his tenure as host. Believe it or not, it is close on 10 years since he took over! 6 years to be precise. Yet, it seems like he is 'new' and 'just settling in' with all the talk he will 'make it is own' this year every year.

While he is professional on many levels, he is better suited to some guests more than others. The show suffers because it is made to fit around him rather than he to fit around the show.

BUT: could another host improve it? It is a big ask tbh. Gaybo's shows were great but he had the guests and the material. Pat Kenny's shows were regarded as 'wooden', 'too serious' and 'debate orientated' by some but the style set in the latter Kenny days was really continued into the Tubridy times too. A lot of the guests have not changed.

With less and less bonafide one off legends alive let alone coming to Ireland, the show has to rely more on here today gone tomorrow celeb culture, politicians, RTE people, 'misery slots' and debates on issues. Because the material is not there, I don't think a new host will be able to solve many of the things wrong with the show. This is also why the likes of Moncrieff, who is talented, likeable and versatile, don't want to do it. He is happy with his reputation and does not want it tarnished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

I really dislike Tubridy's interviews but am not sure a new host could have the power to change things. There is a weird symbiotic relationship between talentless Irish celebs hawking their latest RTE show and then providing a guest spot for the LLS. I imagine Tubs has some choice of guest as David McSavage hasnt been on but unless a major celebrity is desperate to promote a film, why go on the LLS?

I dont think any competent celebrity agent would allow their client on the LLS. Tubs fawns over the big names and seems desperate for approval and to be liked by them. I remember seeing silly adverts that celebrities did in Japan for loads of cash as they thought no one would see them in the US/europe, But the internet means that everyone can see a terrible interview. Why would they take the chance with Tubridy? My muddled point is that maybe a new host would get them a crack at some of the big guests.

But I believe any new host will be someone already highly established in RTE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Tubridy is well into his tenure as host. Believe it or not, it is close on 10 years since he took over! 6 years to be precise.

Six years isn't all that close to ten. :o:);)

Actually, that reminds me of one of the "knots" in Lewis Carroll's A Tangled Tale:

"Problem: Place 24 pigs in four sties so that, as you go round and round, you may always find the number of pigs in each sty nearer to 10 than the number in the last.

Answer: Place 8 pigs in the first sty, 10 in the second, nothing in the third, and 6 in the fourth: 10 is nearer 10 than 8, nothing is nearer 10 than 10, 6 is nearer 10 than nothing, and 8 is nearer 10 than 6."

:o:o:D:);)

BUT: could another host improve it? It is a big ask tbh. Gaybo's shows were great but he had the guests and the material. Pat Kenny's shows were regarded as 'wooden', 'too serious' and 'debate orientated' by some but the style set in the latter Kenny days was really continued into the Tubridy times too. A lot of the guests have not changed.

With less and less bonafide one off legends alive let alone coming to Ireland, the show has to rely more on here today gone tomorrow celeb culture, politicians, RTE people, 'misery slots' and debates on issues. Because the material is not there, I don't think a new host will be able to solve many of the things wrong with the show. This is also why the likes of Moncrieff, who is talented, likeable and versatile, don't want to do it. He is happy with his reputation and does not want it tarnished.
    Brendan O'Connor?

Oh, wait - RTE are probably still mad at him because the SNS overtook the LLS in the ratings... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Advertisement