Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recessed lighting

Options
  • 09-05-2015 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I'm in the process of updating my kitchen and I should have the Sparks coming by shortly. I want to have recessed lighting but to be honest I just don't know how to go about placing it. I don't want it to look like a shop, but I do like good lighting.

Before asking I did my Google search and while there seemed to be quite a bit of information, but a lot of it different, and to honest I'm totally confused. I need advice

While I know some of the big DIY stores offer a design service for rooms does anyone know if they do lighting plans?

Kevin

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Try keeping undercounter led strip lights in mind. The robus ones are well priced and very easy to install. I changed mine out recently, instant light from them.

Also consider two switching options , if you have a table consider a separate pendant light over it so that you won't need to have all the lights on when eating.

You can provide light from different places to avoid the one switch shop display set up.

The downlights can be simple recessed GU 10 spotlights.

But for a tiny bit more you could get something a little different.

Online is the place to go for this. Some good UK options out there. Stay away from the B&Q etc.
    A nice oval shaped brushed nickle fitting will cost you about 5-10 euro and it will look just the same as it does now in ten years unlike the muck sold for 2-3 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

Thanks for your input, I suppose I should have attached an image. Here's my drawing, there has been a few adjustments but it is basically the same. The blank spot is been set aside as a family area. I'm retired so basically that means myself and my partner and the few guests that pop in now and then.

I appreciate the need for good light in the kitchen and I'd like to go for recessed lighting but my fear would be that there would be to many of these lights and it might look like shoppish!

If I were to opt for recessed lighting how many would I roughly need? Would it be best just to keep the recessed lighting in one half of the room - kitchen or family side?

The large circle is a table top where we can eat and there will be a suspended light hanging over it. It has just occurred to me that I'm extremely left handed and I suppose I'd have to take that into account.

Your opinions welcomed.
    plan%20view%20002.jpg?dl=0

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

kah22 wrote:
    If I were to opt for recessed lighting how many would I roughly need? Would it be best just to keep the recessed lighting in one half of the room - kitchen or family side?

Would you consider two rows of 5. You can dim these LED lamps too so that you can have different levels of light.

The under counter lights would work. As would the nice pendant over the table.

You could add a 5amp socket switched from the wall for a lamp in the two corners in the south West and East of your layout.

I was thinking nine recessed lights: two row of two in the kitchen plus one over the island, say about halfway up. That would give me the pendant plus the recessed light over the island which will be the main work surface.

In the diner/family area again two rows of two plus another pendant light of some sort to shed light on the centre of the room and perhaps make it that bit more homely.

Control wise individual switches, with dimmer for both sets of recessed lighting, plus individual dimmer switches for each pendant lighting. Is that overkill?

An additional question. The recessed lighting in the kitchen; is that in line with the end of the counter top, or a little bit over the counter top towards the wall ? I'm thinking good light for working with

The undercounter lights in the kitchen will give you good light to work with.
    You could have two, two gang dimmers, no need for four individual ones.

The additional centre light will work too. No need to have everything dimming though. It's expensive and sometimes a regular switch is better.
    You won't need everything dimming.

• Advertisement

Thank you for your continued support

If I may. For design purposes one of my kitchen runs has only one wall cabinet. Somewhere, I can't tract down where I saw LED lights, like Christmas lights, run across the back of the worktops. Does this give light or is it just a design feature

Kevin

Zero light.

If you'd like an effect, try fantasy lights in Dublin if you are nearby. They have a rope light called flexible neon it has decent kick.
    Christmas style lights are not much use.
    But the rope light can be hidden behind a pelmet and has a good effect.

I know someone who traced out some kitchen features like the top of the pelmet and his winerack with rope light and it looks decent. Better than I thought it would

Led stick on strips can have colour changing properties but also don't have much kick. Some will argue that they do, but the fall off of intensity over time is rapid for some.

I think with Led strips, ropes and strip lights it's always best to have the fittings hidden.

Advertisement