Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English HL Comparative

Options
  • 09-05-2015 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

I'm not scared
    Foster
    How Many Miles To Babylon

Those are the 3 texts we are doing, for some reason our teacher picked foster over Juno and the paycock which is in the key notes.

I'm finding it very difficult to pick a theme or issue based on 3 texts well, it states violence in our book but it doesn't apply to foster unfortunately!

Ive asked my teacher and he said ' Family '
    I'm not sure what i can say about it? :mad::mad:

This is the weakest area i'm in the paper and need help badly!!
    All help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

I've only done HMMB so I can't speak for the other two, but you could talk about the effect family has on the character's lives, for instance, in HMMB Alicia is supposed to be his mother, but treats him horribly, like a doll almost, refuses to let him see Jerry. There is also the conflict between her and Frederick, "I refuse to be alone in this house with you", etc. Then there is Jerry's mother, whom he goes off to war to earn money for, and his father, how Jerry goes out to find him and gets accused of deserting. Hateful mother, passive father, the difference between how the Alec and Jerry see their parents, etc. Take these aspects and compare and contrast them with your other texts.

Eg, "In HMMB, the main character's mother mistreats him, as shown by..." and give examples, analysis etc. Then "Whereas/Similarly/this is contrasted by the mother in/we see this again in" and do the same for your second and third texts, based on how the family is in those.

Advertisement