Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wet room tray higher by 2mm

• 08-05-2015 9:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I'm installing a wet room tray and I'm 2mm out! The tray is 28mm thick with a 6mm rebate for waterproof board to sit on but when I take out the floorboards so tray sits on joist, the floorboards are 20mm thick. This means if I sit tray on joist and put boards on top of floorboards, there'll be a 2mm slope away from the tray where tray meets board. I know Its possible to router 2mm out of joists but there full of broken nails and screws! So routering isn't an option. What I want to run by yous is I'm thinking of taking 2mm of the corners of underside of waterproof boards so it slips in nicely, wouldn't this be my best option because as of now, I can't think of anything else.

As for the tray, its my first time using this tray so hopefully everything goes to plan. Have worked with tilers before on other type wetrooms but never this type. Another thing I'd like to know is where tray meets board, do I seal with ranking tape and tank this joint? Going to run a bead of sealer in the joint but thinking the tanking tape will give extra sealing. Reason why I'm asking is anything on the net about this tray isn't showing any tape along this joint.

All advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Would it be beyond the bounds of possibility to replace the existing joists with new joists (with 2mm already routed out) where they run under the tray?

Just my tuppence worth....I'm no chippy/plumber/tiler though! ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

exaisle wrote: »
    Would it be beyond the bounds of possibility to replace the existing joists with new joists (with 2mm already routed out) where they run under the tray?

Just my tuppence worth....I'm no chippy/plumber/tiler though! ;-)

new joist would mean ripping out ceilings etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Not sure which tray your using, but what's wrong with raising the existing floor up by a few mm with ply?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭e.r

Could you use some feather edge to chamfer out the 2mm

Advertisement