Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lambda probe - can terraclean clean lambda sensor?

Options
  • 08-05-2015 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Just wondering has anyone on here been able to get their lambda sensor back up to normal operation by using terraclean or dipetane or anything like that?

I have a 2002 1.2 polo with the AWY engine and the pcv pipe was left cracked a while back, so some oil and gunk was being burned for a while and lambda sensor was being smothered in sh*t.

The pipe was fixed but the car always gets a lot of town driving so the lambda sensor has been getting coked up for a long time. I had the warning code for the precat sensor flagging up a while back occasionally but now it's on the whole time.

A guy from terraclean said it would give the precat sensor a clean but just wondering if terraclean is worth a go as a way of cleaning out the engine and sprucing up the sensor at the same time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'd say you'd be better spending your money on a new sensor than on the terraclean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

yeah, wondering what terraclean costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

http://www.terracleanireland.ie/pricing

TerraClean Fuel System De-Carbonising:

up to 2000cc - €135
    2000cc to 3500cc - €160
    3500cc to 5000cc - €190

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I would second the new sensor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

Remove it and manually clean it would be alot cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

What fault code is being logged for the pre-cat sensor?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TheJoe

It was bank 1 sensor 2 but I can't remember the code. I think that is the precat sensor. What is the verdict on cleaning manually as suggested by @Flood?

The mechanics I use don't seem interested in sussing the engine and most are weary of going near the VW 3 cylinder engines. IMHO I feel timing is slightly out as well which would have it running rich too. The car sometimes stalls and revs dip below 500rpm when I pull away so I think chain is slack and tensioner fooked. The car temp gauge is also reaching normal operating temperature lately very quickly so I don't know is the temp sender due a change as well.

I'm not a mechanic but consider myself clued in enough on the workings of the engine but I don't want to be flinging work at the mechanics just to satisfy a curiosity. Car is thirsty for a 1.2 though and far worse than it used to be. I log all fuel consumption and it's down to 28-30mpg for most fill ups.

Sensor 2 is the post cat sensor.

What I was actually wondering was what was the fault description?

For example, could be:
    Electrical fault in circuit
    No activity
    Slow response
    Etc.

It was the local VAG dealer that read the codes and that's the one they reported but the mechanic I regularly use said the diagnostics threw up the pre and post cat sensor.

The fault only began to show after the pcv pipe was split and left to fester for a while. The actual fault itself, I don't know if the readings from the sensor were slow to change etc. I gather your wondering if a wire is perished somewhere?

I'm wondering if:

1. The fault is actually with the lambda itself (not guaranteed) and
    2. Assuming the fault is with the lambda then will cleaning have any effect (most certainly not guaranteed)

For example if the fault says electrical fault then no amount of cleaning is going to help!

• Advertisement

True enough. I'm just amazed that the problem has gone from intermittant to constant. The engine mgt warning light is constantly on now and fuel consumption worse than ever. The light generally would go out if I stopped half way through a long journey like when stopping for petrol. The engine would be well warmed up by then.

Sounds like you need to spend a few quid on a proper diagnosis rather than Terraclean which in my opinion is a gimmick which is both over hyped and over priced.

I think you're right, thanks to all for the help

I had the car in with the mechanics today, they read the codes which were P0420 and P0140 02. Cat efficiency and postcat lambda. He said there were three warning codes but he didn't mention the other one. Will follow up.

Emissions for the NCT were excellent though. I think the cat is knackered now and leaving the emissions perfect but the post cat sensor is getting no signal anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

TheJoe wrote: »
    It was the local VAG dealer that read the codes and that's the one they reported but the mechanic I regularly use said the diagnostics threw up the pre and post cat sensor.

I'm a bit curious about this if you don't mind me asking: if the car has been with a VAG dealer and twice with your own mech, why have none of these been able to fix or suggest a cure? Surely both would suggest repalcement rather than Terraclean?

VAG dealer did a kind of dry diagnosis when I was getting other work done. Said these are the codes, that was it really.

My own mechanics, I suppose the first time I was talking to them over a yr ago about it I couldn't get a straight diagnosis on it and didn't really push it with them. It's only now that I'm really eager to get it fixed. Never discussed Terraclean with them either. I think they know this sort of problem can be a money pit and don't want to be robbing me, they're very very sound guys and they're well aware that it's a waste of cash pumping parts into an older car.

I've been told my car is hexxed by them though. I think they hate my wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

I had that P0420 code on my last avensis over 4 years and passed all ncts so I wouldn't assume your cat is broken yet.

Advertisement