Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flickr : You need a Yahoo account before you can have one?

Options
  • 08-05-2015 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

Thinking about creating a Flickr account due to Pixies virtual slow death and went to reg with Flickr and I was asked for a Yahoo name/account?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

yes. It's been like that for a while now. Originally they had actual Flickr accounts, then Yahoo bought them and after a while forced people to have Yahoo accounts (and everyone threatened to leave) then they briefly allowed Google and Facebook oAuth logins (and everyone threatened to leave) and just as quickly killed the oAuth thing and required you to have a yahoo account again (and everyone duly threatened to leave again)

Also they changed the design (and everyone threatened to leave)
    They partnered with Getty (and everyone threatened to leave)
    They cancelled the partnership with Getty (and everyone threatened to leave)
    They changed the design again (and everyone threatened to leave)

etc etc

But, TL:DR; yes you need a yahoo account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I'm still in two minds about it. I don't like that it's not album based.. I know you can create a set but your home page is one long flow of images.

(I'm missing pix.ie basically!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Jeez Cork Girl I am so glad I read your post, I spent 15 mins going round in ****ing circles looking for the albums to work!!!
    No albums then it simply is no good for me, I need albums for each gig I do.

Cork_girl wrote: »
    I'm still in two minds about it. I don't like that it's not album based.. I know you can create a set but your home page is one long flow of images.

(I'm missing pix.ie basically!)

Actually, annoyingly, your home page is a stream of SOMEONE ELSE'S images which is the most irritating change they've made. I.E. go straight to flickr.com and you get a mix of your contacts and recent events etc etc.

If you want a list of albums just throw the sets URL https://www.flickr.com/photos/dairequinlan/sets/ at people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It only makes sense. One account for all products, wether you use them or not that's another thing.

If there was a separate login for all products a company aquires, people would be quite unhappy. It's the same for Google, Microsoft and any other online company which has aquired another company/product/service.

In fairness to them all, it takes a while for the change to occur.

• Advertisement

Jeez Cork Girl I am so glad I read your post, I spent 15 mins going round in ****ing circles looking for the albums to work!!!
    No albums then it simply is no good for me, I need albums for each gig I do.

Oh just saw this now, you can create Albums (alternately and confusingly called 'sets' which was the old name) and dump images into them etc, then you can get the URL for your sets page as above. You can go to 'Organize' to do a pile of batch editing / album creation / adding to groups / location information and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Flickr are doing their best to f*ck it all up -

https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en...7652568890216/

They have basically launched a DDOS attack on themselves with their latest upload tool :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭pwllor

maybe 500px will work better for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

I have a Flickr Account for years, very happy with the service they provide. You get a lot of free storage space, the sharing options for images are great...and it just works.

Can't understand all the negativity towards Flickr here to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I have now taken to it, Not that I've posted much, just the 1 gig album.
    I do most of my photography with my Smart Phone now :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

They seem to have sorted out their uploader issues too .. :cool:

Advertisement