Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jameson Cask Strength

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Just Black Barrel at cask strength, but would be interested in checking out. 100 quid is pretty ridiculous though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

I'm just curious what a ~59% version would taste like.

and i wonder if stronger/weaker versions will appear.

I'm sure that as an investment it would be something that would only appreciate in value over the years given that it is a very limited release.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

It is very good.

The strength of each batch will vary, but they'll all be the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

i find that I like to throw quite literally "a drop" of water into a lot of whiskeys to really separate the individual flavours. not everything but anything thats a little fuller in flavour, it just helps to bring out all the various notes. Im pretty sure id just do the same with this, but with more water. would watering it down just make it into standard black barrel?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,123 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Basically yes - each cask is watered down to the bottle strength. Some single malts are vatted with multiple casks mixed before watering down but I don't think this applies here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    i find that I like to throw quite literally "a drop" of water into a lot of whiskeys to really separate the individual flavours. not everything but anything thats a little fuller in flavour, it just helps to bring out all the various notes. Im pretty sure id just do the same with this, but with more water. would watering it down just make it into standard black barrel?

You'd want to be adding a lot more than 'a drop' to bring it down to 40%

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Everyone is different of course but I find this very drinkable at cask strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

L1011 wrote: »
    Basically yes - each cask is watered down to the bottle strength. Some single malts are vatted with multiple casks mixed before watering down but I don't think this applies here.

Many cask strength releases won't be chill filtered whereas most sub 46%abv bottlings will be chill filtered.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,123 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Many cask strength releases won't be chill filtered whereas most sub 46%abv bottlings will be chill filtered.

True - didn't remember that bit. Why people get prissy enough about the oil formation (or whatever the correct scientific term for what's happening) from non chill filtered stuff below 46% to make distilleries continue to do it I'll never understand.

Advertisement