Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American wanting to extend 90 day stay for internship

Options
  • 07-05-2015 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Newbie here. I'm American. I'm looking into an internship/temp job in Ireland doing digital marketing - unpaid. They want me there for 6-9 months. I know I can only stay for 90 days without a special visa. Does anyone have any recommendations to stay longer? What are my options? Does Ireland have a freelance visa/permit I could apply for? I know Germany has one. Could I apply for it in Germany but then continue my internship in Dublin? Thx all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

KristinMc wrote: »
    Newbie here. I'm American. I'm looking into an internship/temp job in Ireland doing digital marketing - unpaid. They want me there for 6-9 months. I know I can only stay for 90 days without a special visa.
    If the 90 days is the usual holiday / business thing, you aren't allow work (paid or not). There are various channels, including:

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/visas/us-ireland-visa-arrangements/
    https://www.dfa.ie/travel/visas/working-holiday-visas/#
    Could I apply for it in Germany but then continue my internship in Dublin?
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KristinMc

Okay thanks. I don't want to do anything illegal or could even possibly get me banned from Ireland or the EU. Thanks!

FYI Everyone,
    I called the Irish Embassy in D.C. this morning which has you call an 800 number in Ireland (I had to pay $2.90/minute!) and they said I can volunteer in Ireland with just a US passport. I can apply for Volunteer Visa but it's not necessary. I even said I was getting room & board in exchange for volunteer work. I asked if after 3 months I can leave and come back again a week later since the organization wants me to be there 6 months and the person just repeated "technically with a US passport you get 90 days in Ireland and there is no set amount of days you have to be out of country before re-entry." They also said I might want to call the GNIB about where I'll be living (not sure what that is). So I guess I'll go that route especially since I only want to do it once I'm hoping there is no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

KristinMc wrote: »
    "technically with a US passport you get 90 days in Ireland and there is no set amount of days you have to be out of country before re-entry."

I've heard of "90 days in, 90 days out" before. If you are repeatedly staying for 90 days, going to Belfast for the weekend and starting another 90 days, then shenanigans will be called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Would going to France for the weekend work in your opinion? Or I was thinking of entering through the UK. getting a 6 month stamp, going by sea and by land to Dublin, staying 3 months then head to France for the weekend and come back through Dublin and getting a 3 month stamp. None of that would be illegal, right?

In other news, yesterday I called asking for it in writing (that I can volunteer with my US passport) to show immigration at the border. The snippy, super unhelpful woman on the phone at the Irish Embassy in Chicago told me they do NOT put stuff in writing and I might have problems at the border. Huh? I'm so confused! She said to call back today in the afternoon because so-and-so would be there. Seriously why is this so difficult? Do I need to apply for a volunteer visa then or not? I'm getting clarification today if it's the last thing I do! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I guess the easiest thing to do would be to not mention that I'm volunteering at immigration, but I just feel that's dishonest and don't want to risk the organization I'm volunteering at getting in trouble. I don't get why the Irish Embassy can't just be more transparent about their rules. Just tell me what I need to do. Let me know in writing if it's ok. Why make it so difficult? Is this all embassies in general or just the Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

US citizens can spend up to 90 days in Ireland. You can leave and come back butnwill probably experience difficulties.

As the position is unpaid, you don't qualify for an internship visa - http://www.djei.ie/labour/workpermits/internshipep.htm

If i were you, I'd apply for a one year working holiday visa. No visa runs and possibility of being refused rentry. Takes up to a month to process.
    You need to:

Complete and sign your *application form

Submit it to the Embassy or one of the Consulates

General with the following:

A valid United States passport

Two recent identical passport photographs with your name on the reverse

An original bank statement showing that you have access to either:

€1,500 (or equivalent) plus a return travel ticket

€3,000 (or equivalent)

Originals of any qualifications obtained or a letter from your school/college/university (where applicable)The relevant fee of €250 or dollar equivalent as advised by the relevant Mission

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/visas/us-ireland-visa-arrangements/

*https://www.dfa.ie/media/dfa/alldfawebsitemedia/travel/us-working--holiday-authorisation-application-form.pdf

Happy Friday! Today I got an email from a very helpful person at the INIS that seems to know what they are talking about. I will bring documentation with me and enter as a "volunteer".

• Advertisement
Advertisement