Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flickr finally sees sense....

Options
  • 07-05-2015 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

I just noticed in the last hour that Flickr appears to have finally abandoned the God-awful, endlessly-scrolling justified mess of a frontpage and have replaced it with an interface that shows the full images - similar to what the site used to have.

My hope is that Flickr sticks with this format from now on. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

Was a bit of a shock first thing this morning but liking it now...i think! Hopefully they let this one stay for a while, seems like they're been through 2/3 designs in the last couple years!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

was particularly bad when it tried to display one of its supposed funky videos - whoever was the Graphic Artist in charge , needs a lesson from one of the old school Graphic masters (Pete Saville) - the concept less is more , never been more apt

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Almost never look at that page anyway.

It's the photostream page that's the biggest eyesore. All those photos in tiny grid format with no room to breath. Yuk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Really don't find Flickr an intuitive site. It does work but it's cumbersome.

Much prefer the simple elegance of Pix.ie.

To me it's a bit like Windoze/Android vs OSX.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

It just activated for me now. The one thing that strikes me is that while for the most part it's an improvement, if I open my photostream, hoping to see, y'know, MY PHOTOS, I'm instead confronted by THIS ...

348127.jpg

... with exciting overly dramatic red hatching added by me, to indicate the REALLY USELESS bits of screen real estate taken up by crap I don't care about. It's disappointing. Super -- UX points for flickr/yahoo right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Remember when your last five photos were showcased in large format on the front page, with sets along the right hand side? That made sense.

amdgilmore wrote: »
    Remember when your last five photos were showcased in large format on the front page, with sets along the right hand side? That made sense.

And you could choose the amount of photos, sets & collections to showcase! Then yahoo came along!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I have a lot of problems uploading since this latest "improvement" , the new flickr uploader for windows is god awful and doesn't give the option of manually uploading specific files, just syncing folders.

I don't know if flickr are purposefully trying to distance their users so to finally dump the service altogether.

I'd like to try a new provider, but dont want to reupload 1000s of pics,
    it would be great if I could sign up to some crowd that could use the flickr API and just transfer all my flickr content to the new one ...

the_monkey wrote: »
    I'd like to try a new provider, but dont want to reupload 1000s of pics,
    it would be great if I could sign up to some crowd that could use the flickr API and just transfer all my flickr content to the new one ...

500px can transfer photos from flickr I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

glad to see the back of that stupid bar across the top too. prefer the cleaner look, but i miss the old thumbnail view and sets and stuff...

i'm using my 11" macbook a lot, and pics look really small though, so daire's point about real estate makes so much sense!! especially when you have a small screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Overall they have made significant improvements, particularly in how i view & find my own photos.
    -Display uploaded photos by date both uploaded and taken.
    -Easily see a public view of your stream.
    -Magic view is also quite cool. I can actually see myself using that!

Wish they paginated the photostream though. I dont have any major issue with its layout, its not as pretty as it could be but it works. The continuous scrolling is annoying though.

All in all though a vast improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Here is the official upload discussion page

https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157652568890216/

Apparently the new uploadr has an auto upload function, that scans your whole PC/phone/device for photos and uploads them.

Idiots, they have basically done their own DDOS attack on their own site :D

Advertisement