Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Service Gas Boiler - best person

Options
  • 06-05-2015 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hi My gas boiler is not always coming on - so phoned airtricity - they said probably a part gone and if so I will have to pay for service + repair = 139 euro.

This to me sounds expensive - anybody know of a good gas service guy in Dublin 15 ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I got a very reasonably priced service from Shane Donnellan (mentioned on Riverwood Residents Association Tradespersons page under Plubmber).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

harry999 wrote: »
    Hi My gas boiler is not always coming on - so phoned airtricity - they said probably a part gone and if so I will have to pay for service + repair = 139 euro.

This to me sounds expensive - anybody know of a good gas service guy in Dublin 15 ? Thanks

You were fed the usual customer service BS. There is no way they can determine through a phone call the exact problem you are having. It may well be a small problem, but I'd wager if you agree to the call-out, you'll be hit with a bill well in excess of the quoted €139 and at that time informed of this part / that part gone. If your boiler is 10-15yrs old +, don't be surprised if a new boiler is recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

dodzy wrote: »
    If your boiler is 10-15yrs old +, don't be surprised if a new boiler is recommended.
    Such a recommendation is not an unreasonable one. The efficiency of an old boiler is greatly reduced.

daymobrew wrote: »
    Such a recommendation is not an unreasonable one. The efficiency of an old boiler is greatly reduced.
    I'd be interested to find out the actual difference in usage cost between a bulletproof boiler of old that has caused many owners very little in maintenance costs over those 15yrs and one of the newer models. I've a potterton prime that costs us with cooking approx 750 per annum. I replaced 2 fans ( eBay ) and a few replacement capacitors ( Marlins ) on the main circuit board and still running. 23 yrs this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

dodzy wrote: »
    I'd be interested to find out the actual difference in usage cost between a bulletproof boiler of old that has caused many owners very little in maintenance costs over those 15yrs and one of the newer models. I've a potterton prime that costs us with cooking approx 750 per annum. I replaced 2 fans ( eBay ) and a few replacement capacitors ( Marlins ) on the main circuit board and still running. 23 yrs this year.

A new condenser boiler is likely to have an efficiency rating in excess of 90% versus your older boiler which is probably closer to 70%. If you can get the actuals for both boilers under comparison and you know how many units of gas you use over time then you can approximate the cost savings - and more importantly, the return on investment. Chances are its something like 5 years +.

Expect a kicking from the RGIs on the forum re your boiler handywork!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Our boiler was on the way out and we got a condenser boiler.

Well worth getting,within minutes the house is warm
    Not sure exactly on oil usage,but assume if its heating quicker its using less

A new condenser boiler is likely to have an efficiency rating in excess of 90% versus your older boiler which is probably closer to 70%. If you can get the actuals for both boilers under comparison and you know how many units of gas you use over time then you can approximate the cost savings - and more importantly, the return on investment. Chances are its something like 5 years +.

Expect a kicking from the RGIs on the forum re your boiler handywork!

Num to it at this stage ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Irishlad23

Last year, I paid €89 for my boiler service.

Now, it's time for me to have my boiler serviced again, and I noticed some deals on Living Social for only €69. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these deals and if they're worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Was that in D15? 89 sounds reasonable, very reasonable actually.

Wouldn't use any tradesperson off a deals site, especially for something as important as a boiler service. Carbon monoxide kills.

Advertisement