Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covering silver fillings white

Options
  • 06-05-2015 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Is it possible? Like not to extract the silver filling but paint or cover it white ?? If it is possible does anyone experience with this in terms of prices etc 😕 purely for aesthetic reasons none of this Mercury nonsense... Thanks ðŸ˜Â႒

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JessieJames

Anyone? I actually had an appointment with my dentist the other day and asked him, he wasn't very helpful and just said there's nothing wrong with my (silver) fillings as they are intact, didn't actually answer my question as to whether I can have them coloured or covered white.. I'm presuming they just don't deal with things like that. Any input would be very helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I have seen people resurface amalgams with white filling material, usually leaving a weak, leaking grey mess (you still have to remove the top bit or else your bite would be wrong). Either leave them alone or remove them entirely and replace in composite of ceramic.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭603304529

You would be much better off having the amalgam filling removed altogether, and replaced with a composite filling.

Amalgam doesn't really bond to anything - so nothing will really stay on top of the amalgam (ie, if you were to resurface it, it would not last).

Unless your dentist can give you a good reason, then he shouldn't really have a problem with removing the old amalgam and replacing it with composite. Its more aesthetically pleasing, and will strengthen the tooth (because the composite bonds to the tooth structure, it adds strength, and increases the longevity of the tooth).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭NSAman

5 Years ago I had all my fillings taken out and replaced by white fillings. The difference was incredible.

I know they say that there is no difference with amalgam v's the white bonding fillings. Personally speaking, your mouth feels cleaner and that awful alien feeling disappears instantly, not to mention energy levels increased for me.

Advertisement