Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

incremental credit

Options
  • 06-05-2015 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on this. I am currently working for CDETB and recently submitted an application for incremental credit. I taught for over 4 yrs on a nationwide programme directly funded by the Dept. of Education, which also had representation on the board of directors, when the funding was moved from this agency to the VEC's I was employed immediately by the CDVEC with the exact same duties and responsibilities and leo the exact same students. However I was informed today that my application was refused as time in a 'private language school' does not count for incremental credit and also that there is no possibility for an appeal. Any thoughts on where to go next would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

spacebar wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on this. I am currently working for CDETB and recently submitted an application for incremental credit. I taught for over 4 yrs on a nationwide programme directly funded by the Dept. of Education, which also had representation on the board of directors, when the funding was moved from this agency to the VEC's I was employed immediately by the CDVEC with the exact same duties and responsibilities and leo the exact same students. However I was informed today that my application was refused as time in a 'private language school' does not count for incremental credit and also that there is no possibility for an appeal. Any thoughts on where to go next would be greatly appreciated.

Bare in mind there is the precedent that if someone moves from teaching in a fee paying sector to dept. paid you are entitled to transfer your incremental credit as the service is recognised. If the nationwide program has similar curricula to other dept. run programs then you might be in with a chance.. that's just an ordinary 'joe soap' interpretation though!

Did you teach towards any state certification in the 'private language school' like leaving cert/LCA/FETAC etc?

Might be one for the union.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 spacebar

thanks Gebgbebg, I thought the application would be successful, my previous experience was dept. funded but not a 'private' language school as there were no fees and it did indeed teach towards FETAC certification. Ironically it was the experience I gained in my previous employment that got me employed by the then VEC and placed immediately into a teaching/coordinating role in order to utilise this new funding stream (from the Dept.) and to kickstart this new programme across the city.
    I've gotten in touch with the union and will keep you posted. Hopefully it won't take too long and will ultimately be successful......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ya I just think that if there is a precedent with other cases then they shouldn;t mess you around. When you consider your case is relatively rare then it's not as if it'll open the floodgates anyhow!

Advertisement