Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Understanding the enigma that is Kata....Irish Tour 2015

Options
  • 06-05-2015 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Patrick McCarthy Hanshi 9th Dan, Irish Tour May 2015

Understanding the enigma that is kata....[Functional Application of Kata]

Tuesday 19th May, Monaghan 19:00- 22:00

Wednesday 20th May, Ballina 16:30-17:30 & 18:00 - 22:00

Thursday 21st May, Galway City 17:00 - 21:00

Sat/Sun 23rd/24th May, Cork City 10:00 - 17:00

info@irkrs-ireland.com

All welcome...please e-mail or PM for further information.

www.koryu-uchinadi.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭galson

See you in Cork! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

Short clip.....from his Cork seminar yesterday. Gojushiho

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭galson

Great two days in Cork, lots learned, even though our brains were melting in the end. There's more videos on Hanshi's youtube channel.

Was missing the man who told me about the KU dojo in Cork a year ago, Damo W!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

Good stuff.. I'm not from a Karate background at all but the way McCarthy does things is nicely familiar - technical and functional.

Bassai/Passai and Tekki/Naihanchi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

edited (Mod)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Richy06 banned for a week. Please read the forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

I will preface this post by saying that I've only ever done a small amount of kata, but it seems to me that there would be more efficient ways of training than trying to retro fit technique to a specific series of movements.

It ends up looking like a very elongated version of the one and two steps I remember doing years ago, imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

cletus wrote: »
    I will preface this post by saying that I've only ever done a small amount of kata, but it seems to me that there would be more efficient ways of training than trying to retro fit technique to a specific series of movements.

As a person who regularly trains kata I would not disagree with the idea that there are more effective ways to train . . . . but I would not question the efficiency of kata training.

One of the primary efficiencies of kata is that you can perform it alone, and that every kata contains a number of techniques which you will practise each time you perform the kata. Trained properly, it is also effective as a way of achieving fitness / agility / balance / endurance through all ages in life. What it lacks is the combative aspect which can only be properly trained with two or more people.

So training in kata only is not effective.

Training in kumite (sparring) only is limited from a developmental perspective, but is obviously a very important aspect of martial training. Without kumite the martial aspect of the art is lost, but too high an emphasis on kumite might limit the ability of a practitioner to continue to train hard into their later years.

Training in kihon (basics) is critical (and too often overlooked by 'advanced grades') as this is the method by which body mechanics are trained, tuned and tested. Clubs which pay lip-service to the kihon deprive the students of the ability to learn something that they can develop from an early age into their 60's, 70's and 80's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

It ends up looking like a very elongated version of the one and two steps I remember doing years ago, imo

I've watched some of those videos and in fairness to the people who train in this manner; developing functional skills is obviously not their priority. If you genuinely wanted to learn how to fight in the clinch and on the ground that is not how you would go about doing it. If you wanted to add something different to your karate training then maybe this is how you would do it. It's quite similar to a Krav Maga demo that was on during a MMA show in Galway last weekend; kinda like real techniques but obviously the people doing it are training them in a makeyuppy way so they would have no frame of reference to know what technique is good or not, nor would they be developing the skillset to use them for real. Old story really. Why people train like this is beyond me personally, training realistically is a way more craic and more intellectually stimulating, but each to their own.

What is KU Futari-geiko? [by Patrick McCarthy]

KU Futari-geiko is NOT a style! It’s a completely systematised and style-free method of 2-person application practices. Highly functional practices which transcend style and are NOT bound by rules KU Futari-geiko is the one single thread which weaves together the very fabric of all traditional karate.

After many years of research in Japan, China and SE Asia, I introduced both the KU-theory and corresponding 2-person practices to the West in 1993. Over the past twenty-years I have since taught hundreds of kata-based application seminars all over the world and to very receptive instructors of every traditional karate style.

Based upon the HAPV-Theory the KU Futari-geiko System includes:
    #1. Giving & receiving percussive impact/blunt force trauma: Uchi/Uke-waza [29 techniques]
    #2. Negotiating the clinch: Tegumi: Kotekitai, Kakie, Ude Tanren and Muchimi-di, etc. [36 techniques]
    #3. Joint manipulation, cavity seizing & limb entanglement: Kansetsu/Tuite-waza [72 techniques]
    #4. Chokes/strangles-air/blood deprivation: Shime-waza [36 techniques]
    #5. Balance displacement: Nage-waza [55 techniques]
    #6. Submission-based ground fighting: Ne-waza [72 techniques]
    #7. Escapes & counters: Gyaku-waza [36 techniques]

KU Futari-geiko can and does strengthen the delivery system of any traditional karate style without adversely affecting its cosmetic appearance. This is why KU Futari-geiko has become one of the most sought after and widely imitated 2-personal application-based methods of practice any where in the world today.

Patrick McCarthy, Hanshi.

Cletus wrote:

Zen65 wrote: »
    As a person who regularly trains kata I would not disagree with the idea that there are more effective ways to train . . . . but I would not question the efficiency of kata training.

One of the primary efficiencies of kata is that you can perform it alone, and that every kata contains a number of techniques which you will practise each time you perform the kata. Trained properly, it is also effective as a way of achieving fitness / agility / balance / endurance through all ages in life. What it lacks is the combative aspect which can only be properly trained with two or more people.

So training in kata only is not effective.

Training in kumite (sparring) only is limited from a developmental perspective, but is obviously a very important aspect of martial training. Without kumite the martial aspect of the art is lost, but too high an emphasis on kumite might limit the ability of a practitioner to continue to train hard into their later years.

Training in kihon (basics) is critical (and too often overlooked by 'advanced grades') as this is the method by which body mechanics are trained, tuned and tested. Clubs which pay lip-service to the kihon deprive the students of the ability to learn something that they can develop from an early age into their 60's, 70's and 80's.

Kata teaches you nothing, that you should not have already learned.

Their original purpose was actually meant to culminate the lesson one had already learned, rather than designed to impart the lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Damo W wrote: »
    Kata teaches you nothing, that you should not have already learned.

Their original purpose was actually meant to culminate the lesson one had already learned, rather than designed to impart the lesson.

When I first read this,I didn't think that I understood what you were saying, but on reading it again, I'm sure i don't understand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

When I first read this,I didn't think that I understood what you were saying, but on reading it again, I'm sure i don't understand

I think it's pretty clear what he's saying.

First you learn the moves, then you learn the kata. The kata doesn't teach you the moves, it demonstrates what you have already learned.

Advertisement