Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campers on the prom?

Options
  • 06-05-2015 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

I go running on the prom 5 mornings a week and have noticed that for the past 3 weeks there has been an ever increasing group of people camping near the football club. These people obviously aren't backpacker types and seem to be irish people that have decided to take up semi-permanent residence there. Whats the deal? Also saw them camping (but since moved) across from the spanish arch on that walkway that leads towards the claddagh?

I hate to be that person that moans about this stuff, but everyday i pass tourists looking baffled by it, as it spoils scenic photo opportunities. It just looks bad. If you wanna camp fine, but isn't one night enough? Otherwise go to a campsite. /rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Back in the day, 'The Swamp' was accepted as an address by Social Welfare when signing on. Not far too go to the Claddagh Bank either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Rob! wrote: »
    I go running on the prom 5 mornings a week and have noticed that for the past 3 weeks there has been an ever increasing group of people camping near the football club. These people obviously aren't backpacker types and seem to be irish people that have decided to take up semi-permanent residence there. Whats the deal? Also saw them camping (but since moved) across from the spanish arch on that walkway that leads towards the claddagh?

I hate to be that person that moans about this stuff, but everyday i pass tourists looking baffled by it, as it spoils scenic photo opportunities. It just looks bad. If you wanna camp fine, but isn't one night enough? Otherwise go to a campsite. /rant

It's a combination of foreign backpackers and Irish from what I see. Maybe I'm odd but I think the tents look quite nice in the distance. Are they being a nuisance to people or littering? Those are the two things that would bother me much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,784 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Rob! wrote: »

Where's the nearest campsite that they could go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Where's the nearest campsite that they could go to?

Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

Once it's kept clean I dont mind all that much. It's just my excessively dramatic imagination envisions what became of OccupyGalway on Eyre Square a few years back. And that was not a pretty site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

That guy on the middle arch is still there. Last week I saw two lads in a van pull up on the other side of the walkway and start to have a word with him. After a few minutes he started dismantling the tent while they stood there watching. The next day he was back again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

This issue is on corrie tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Are they local homeless? foreign homeless? tourists? just people who like tents?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It's a new trend called Galping.
    It's very intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

5 tents this morning. All very small backpacker type tents. No rubbish or reason to worry I could see. I suspect the guards would move them along if they cause fuss.

• Advertisement

Wait til Fidelma gets wind of it, oh the humanity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Framping?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Michael Crowe is already on the case ;)

Advertisement