Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod Touch - Contract with Apple or Shop?

Options
  • 06-05-2015 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

HI there,

I got an Ipod touch for the 13yr old at Xmas - it will no longer charge and I brought it back to the shop where I purchased it in November 14. They were very helpful but gave me the phone number for Apple, who apparently fix the ipod with their own system.
    I have phoned Apple 5 times in the past week - everytime I phone, there seems to be another 'issue' with another email address in order for them to log the repair and arrange to collect the ipod for fixing (although they have already told me that if they discover my son 'broke' the ipod, rather than it being a problem with the ipod, they will charge me for the repair).
    I've just gotten off the phone again and while they are also very helpful, I had to go through the whole process again, have to go back to the shop and get them to reissue a receipt with my name, home address, and various other details on it...and once I have this, I've to ring them back.
    I have a pain in my proverbials with this.

My question is really is my contract not with the shop where I purchased the ipod (for €229.00)...do I have to continue going through more and more phone calls before I can even get the ipod collected for repair??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Your contract is with the shop but I have found with companies such as Apple and Sony, if you contact them first it speeds up the process massively. You get a number from apple, they will collect the ipod direct from your house and drop back

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Yeah, Apple more than any company won't deal with the retailer at all which means the retailer would be out the price of the iPod if they deal with you directly for a replacement for example, and if it's reapir they have to go through the exact same process you are now, so even when you go to the retailer you are going to need to prove the iPod is yours and would still have all these issues with the email etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

See what Apple have to say about things: http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/.

Given that Apple are proving difficult to deal with, I think you should go back to your retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Thanks everyone. I wouldnt say Apple have been 'difficult'...its just everytime I ring with the solution to the previous phone call, theres one more issue that i have to sort..password change /extra info on receipt etc. Its not helped by them insisting they talk to my 13yr old every time either, hes even more clueless than me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sweetsugar

My daughter had the same problem with her ipod touch as well, not charging in 2014
    l went on Apple website and it was through that l dealt with them, never rang them. They send out a special envelope for the ipod to be return to them for repairs and after a few weeks, i think it was 4 weeks, they couldn't fix it and she got a new one. No charge.
    l do know there is a place in Cork that only sell and repairs Apple product. They should be one in Dublin.
    To find them, google Apple, select support, scroll down to the bottom of the screen and under contact, select Apple Authorized Service Providers and go to service and put in your location

Beware, everything he has in ipod, music, photos etc he will lose them unless he has saved them in icoud. Explain to them could they try and saved them before repairing or replacing. As we couldn't save it to icloud because we couldn't charge it, we did asked them to save her stuff, they did save alot of her photos and nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Fittle wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I wouldnt say Apple have been 'difficult'...its just everytime I ring with the solution to the previous phone call, theres one more issue that i have to sort..password change /extra info on receipt etc. Its not helped by them insisting they talk to my 13yr old every time either, hes even more clueless than me!

I think they need to have 'find my iPhone' disabled (if that's a thing on the iPod you have). If I remember right it makes it impossible to software reset the device with that enabled if they don't have access to the icloud account linked to the iPod. Naturally, they want to able to software reset it as it could help fix it. Even if you left it into the shop apple would ask them for the information. Apple warranty service is normally pretty good so stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Fittle wrote: »
    I'd call that difficult! I don't equate difficult with evil.

Advertisement