Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity - Termination Fee when moving home?

Options
  • 06-05-2015 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭

Not a Consumer Issue persé... but can't find anywhere else to post it.

Anyone have any idea of a termination / leaving out of contract fee for leaving Airtricity? Joined last July and am moving in the next week or two to a new house.

I investigated moving house online and I can see how to do it - you can do it online by submitting a meter reading / forwarding address etc.

But in their terms and conditions, can't find any reference as to a fee.

Anyone have any idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Actually.. think I may have found it..

6hmDEp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes it depends what tariff you sign up to. Can you just move your account to the new place, if not you will have to pay.

Ring then and tell them you will stay with them if they don't charge but will move to another provider of they do....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Yeah if you plan to stay with them they will just move your details and not charge you, but might sign you up for another 12 months. So unless you plan to change provider give them a buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers guys.. will give it a shot but their website does indicate you can't transfer account to a new house, and you'd have to close account and re-open.

Was tempted to sign up to Electric Ireland with the free Nest thermostat offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

That's kinda accurate as you do technically close one account and open a new account on a new MPRN number etc but as you are not "leaving the company" they don't look at it in the same way as if you were just cancelling your contract early and walking away.

I've done 2 moves in the last three years and moved Vodafone and airtricity each time, and neither made me pay. I just signed to a new 12month contract and continued.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Yes it depends what tariff you sign up to. Can you just move your account to the new place, if not you will have to pay.

Ring then and tell them you will stay with them if they don't charge but will move to another provider of they do....
    Huh? Change of address is not breach of contract, change of supplier is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Huh? Change of address is not breach of contract, change of supplier is.
    The supply contract is specific to an address and their general T&Cs do not provide for transferring an account to another address, you have to terminate the existing contract. They even tell you in their FAQ
    How do I transfer my SSE Airtricity account to my new property?

Your account is specific to your property, so you can’t transfer it when you move. You’ll need to close your existing account and open a new account for your new home. You can do this by:

Logging in to My SSE Airtricity (available to Electricity-only customers)
    Calling us on 1850 81 22 20
    Emailing us at movinghouse@airtricity.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭TheChizler

slimjimmc wrote: »
    The supply contract is specific to an address and their general T&Cs do not provide for transferring an account to another address, you have to terminate the existing contract. They even tell you in their FAQ
    Yikes! That's worth pointing out to all renters! Haven't seen that before with other companies.

Advertisement