Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earth wire on eircom drop

Options
  • 06-05-2015 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

yuloni wrote: »
    My question... is it safe to connect DSL without an earth. I guess a bolt of lightning somewhere and I'll be down a good Billion modem. From reading around, opinion is mixed. Some say an earth is needed, others say earths are no longer needed. I know one of my most recent DSL installs, the engineer simply connected the active pair to the NTU without earth, similar to what I've done here

There should be a lightning breaker on the dropwire on the pole. The dropwire now goes straight to the NTU from the breaker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do you have a legacy NTU or one of the new filtered ones? If its the latter just unscrew the faceplate and expose the RJ45 socket in the middle, plonk your DSL cable in there and leave it sit for 24-48hrs to test. If the PCB on the internal filter is borked that'll stabilize the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭65535

beside the NTU where there was an old Ericson terminal box where the two pairs arrived from the pole and an earth ran to ground.

Hi,
    One line is one pair.
    No earth is involved - unless there was shared service/separate metering on that line before?
    An earth if present would only be used for a center pin on a gas discharge tube to earth in case of a large surge on the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭65535

If you have any overhead spans on those lines then you should use the earthing box.
    The white yokes with the blue writing on them are gas discharge tubes which will (hopefully) send any surge to earth.
    If the cables are underground you probably do not need them.

The line is all overhead from the exchange until it reaches the last pole where it drops underground into the house. While I'm not keen leaving it unearthed, earthing the line again is effecting the connection. Might I be able to visually establish if there is a lightning breaker on the line/pole as mentioned in post 2?

It should be earthed every 3 poles

That screams handset fault! The handset can still work but will short the line and cause enough disturbance that the filter doesnt protect the DSL.

Try:
    Splitter* + Modem + NO PHONE
    Splitter* + Modem + Phone

If the results are different, go f'ck that phone out the window.

*By that I mean double microfilter

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    That screams handset fault! The handset can still work but will short the line and cause enough disturbance that the filter doesnt protect the DSL.

Try:
    Splitter* + Modem + NO PHONE
    Splitter* + Modem + Phone

If the results are different, go f'ck that phone out the window.

*By that I mean double microfilter

Lidl phones are nearly a short circuit, have seen this several times

A bad socket could short upon jack insertion but you have a new NTU.

This line shouldn't have been viable from the start, attenuation has to be like 80dB plus. So anything could throw it off. I wonder if the line termination was gone if the handset or splitter would act as a pseudo termination and attenuate the signal further. Hmmm. Not sure.

Let us know how those tests go.

Advertisement