Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punctured Hole in the Side of Freezer

Options
  • 05-05-2015 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Sooooo my roomate got obnoxiously drunk last year, and decided to stab two holes in our freezer. Now that the time is coming near to (hopefully) receive our safety deposit back, we are attempting to fix it. No appliance repairmen wanted to help, and w/in my limited research I have found that it may be plausible.

It is a whirlpool refrigerator W8TXNGMWQ01, and the freezer still works. Is there a way to restore it to a landlord-accepted level?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Get your housemate to replace it. He can keep the stabbed freezer as a memento of that great night where he stabbed a freezer and you can get your deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

My first job was working in a freezer factory so, if it was MINE, this is the direction I'd go. But your idiot flatmate is responsible and can't hide behind the tired "Duh, I was drunk" excuse. Maybe a swift trip to DID, on him, would make a better person of him.

Photos would help (exterior only damaged / interior only damaged / both surfaces damaged?) but if the wounds are small, you could fill them with expanding foam (from hardware shops) and then a little filler and paint touch-up or cover with a patch of sticky-back vinyl. Be careful with the foam because it's as sticky as fecque and goes everywhere.

Larger holes would need a much more organised approach to control the expanding foam and it might just be easier to drag the moron to DID instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ziolicious

Should I know what the DID is? And in regards to the picture, i'm not able to post it. The wounds are as thick as an average size, 8-10 inch kitchen knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Landlord Acceptable level?
    Buy a replacement freezer or risk loosing the deposit, if I saw a bodged repair to an appliance like that I'd be insisting in a replacement or hold the deposit.
    It's not like it's normal wear and tear, or even an understandable accident.

Your flat mate , and by association you and whomever else is renting have shown serious disregard for someone else's property, and you seem to think a DIY repair is somehow acceptable.

Be grown up, ye are responsible, do the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

ziolicious wrote: »
    Should I know what the DID is? And in regards to the picture, i'm not able to post it. The wounds are as thick as an average size, 8-10 inch kitchen knife.

www.DID.ie
    it looks like it is a fridge freezer so DID your friend stab the door or the side.
    If the door then you might get a replacement.

having said that you risk getting billed for both eh freezer and lose your deposit if the LL discovers you are trying to shaft him

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I googled the model and it looks like it's a North American fridge - small fridge freezer

Are you in the U.S.?

You might have to find an equivalent and replace it. Or, use a parts website to find the exact replacement.

Stabbing a fridge is hardly wear and tear so it will absolutely come out of your deposit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

Fill them with tec 7, everybody is using that stuff lately for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Look up Aluminium repair kits. It should do the job.

Advertisement