Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a wasps nest ?

Options
  • 05-05-2015 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

I was in my shed today and seen this on the ceiling .. There are 2 in there about 8 feet apart.

They are small at the moment.. About 1 to 1.5 inch wide and about the same in depth .. Nothing in there that I could see..

They where not there last week.

Are they wasps nests ?

If yes then what can/should I do ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

NeVeR wrote: »
    I was in my shed today and seen this on the ceiling .. There are 2 in there about 8 feet apart.

They are small at the moment.. About 1 to 1.5 inch wide and about the same in depth .. Nothing in there that I could see..

They where not there last week.

Are they wasps nests ?

If yes then what can/should I do ?

Thanks

It's the beginning of one - Found them myself in my own shed previously. It will be a solitary queen wasp building it - if you wait for it to fly off and get more pulp to build it, you can simply remove it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, I'm moving your thread to the Nature forum as you should get more targetted answers there. Please be aware that a different charter applies.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Damien360

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    It's the beginning of one - Found them myself in my own shed previously. It will be a solitary queen wasp building it - if you wait for it to fly off and get more pulp to build it, you can simply remove it.

She will keep coming back. We had to spray her with fly spray which admittedly got her very angry. We scarpered and we have'nt seen her since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Looks like it,
    Youd be suprised how many wasps might be in something small, knocked a small one off the underside of a shed roof and about 6 or more seemed to come out, angry.
    Make sure the way is clear and no kids about.

Id suggest getting a liquid spray from a hardware, I got one in an aerosol can and sprayed onto a much bigger one. You can spray from a safe (er) distance but make sure your exit is clear, no kids or anyone that can get stuck out in the open or will block your escape.
    I also covered myself head to toe in a heavy boiler suit, the leather and cotton work gloves and insect head net and sealed the joints with duct tape.
    It was necessary and it was that or a fair few quid to get it done.

For that you probably wont need it but the bigger one I tackled was the size of a football at least.

You could observe them and knock off when there are less about, but I think the can of spray is only 1.50 in B&Q.

The other alternative is, you could leave it in place, wasps eat other creatures, and abandon a nest after a season in it, as its not in your house/attic, you might not cross (flight) paths. They will happily ignore you if you leave them alone and dont make sudden waving movements around them, like swatting them. I worked on a roof and there were loads of wasps, eating aphids (gardeners enemy), so involved were they in that they never paid me any heed during their feast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Damien360 wrote: »
    She will keep coming back. We had to spray her with fly spray which admittedly got her very angry. We scarpered and we have'nt seen her since.

Yeah I was lucky - removed one the size of a golf ball, ot was unoccupied - the queen came back, flying about looking for what she's just built. Managed to shoo it out the door, lock the shed and my visitor never came back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭scuba8

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Yeah I was lucky - removed one the size of a golf ball, ot was unoccupied - the queen came back, flying about looking for what she's just built. Managed to shoo it out the door, lock the shed and my visitor never came back.

If you are going to use a spray it is best to wait until dark when they will be inside. They do not fly much in the dark or when very cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I had to turn mass murderer late last summer, a nest was built without me really spotting it, I decided to wait until the conditions were right to have a go and went in under cover of darkness like I was heading out into a blizzard with a can of wasp killer. I basically emptied the can and dragged the door shut and left it for 24 hours. It worked but the shed was covered in dead wasps of course!

The reason it happened at all was the door not being closed fully all the time and a small hole in the corrugated plastic roof.

Advertisement