Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Stoping TV Service from June 1st - What other best value choice?

Options
  • 05-05-2015 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

I received an email from Magnet that their TV service is going to stop from June 1st.

I was with them TV + Phone + Broadband for the last 8 years.

60 Mb Unlimited Fibre Broadband
    Unlimited Any time Local and National Calls
    80 TV Channels

It was the best value service in Ireland - only 60 Euro per month!

In the email they send me it was mentioned that they are in discussion with Sky about providing TV for the Magnet customers while Magnet retails Phone and Broadband services. I am bit skeptical about Sky due to their much hyped up prices (not of any value at all) and bad customer service.

I seached Eircom, UPC, Sky website and the pricews are in the range of 80-100 Euro for the same service.

Any other alternative any one could suggest like a combination of services to get best value service. I have a motorised dish and Smart TV with Saorview built in so dont care much about TV.

But phone and a high speed Fibre broadband are important.

Just got some comparison data:

Magnet Price:Euro 39
    60 Mb Unlimited broadband
    Unlimited Any time National and Local Calls

UPC Price 45 Euro (Initial Price of 25 Euro for 6 months)
    Unlimited 120Mb broadband
    Unlimited calls to Irish landlines and mobiles, 400 minutes to landlines in 22 international destinations
    Horizon Phone app
    Horizon Wi-Free

Any other best value options for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,393 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Maybe UPC horizon max/120 anytime mobile, €25 for 6 months, €80 for 12 months, average price €61.66 over the 18 month contract

Or with the basic digital pack instead: €25 for 6 months, then €70, average over 18 months €55

Then revisit in 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Why not go freesat etc and Vodafone for fibre BB?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭TestLink

Ya, I only want phone and Broadband. So searching for the best offer.

Would an aerial fitted inside my home to my Smart TV with built in Irish Saorview work ?

Or do I have to fit the aerial outside my building and connect it to TV? I live in Dublin South County.

I decided to join UPC

Magnet quoted me 40 Euro for 100 Mb broadband with Free Calls to Irish Land Lines

UPC is much better - Free any time calls to all Irish Land Line and Mobile Numbers 24/7 - 365 days
    120 Mb Fibre Broadband
    25Euro for first 6 months and 45 Euro there after
    Free calls to Irish Land Lines and Mobiles using mobile app where wireless is available
    400 mins calls to 22 International destinations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 suolas

I was with Magnet for years, but as our children grew and became more tech orientated, so did our broadband requirements. The area we live in, although its Dublin City centre, our best speed was 12MB on the 24MB package.

When on the phone about ways to increase the broadband, Magnet staff had no option and when the call ended, I was left with the only available alternative of unfortunately having to look at other options which I let them know I had to do. If there was any other option, I would have happily stayed with Magnet.

Eventually we settled on UPC's 120MB/phone offer and at nealry €10 less of what I was currently paying, made the arrangements, the UPC people were friendly and helpful and said they would take care of the phone number, etc, I didn't even need to call Magnet to close the account. Fair enough, I thought. Pretty good customer service there.

About 3 weeks into service and our number still hasn't changed. I call UPC and find out that Magnet are witholding the code to change over the number. So I call Magnet to see what the issue is, it is then that they feel the need to remind me that I should have given them 30 days notice that I was cancelling the account. I stated that I had already done so as I spent the time to try and find other solutions without leaving Magnet, but that was a phantom call, they have no record of it.

And now I'm getting harrassing letters, emails to my Private email address and calls to my Private Number from BCW Group.

Not only am I disgusted at Magnet's attitude because they were incapable of keeping a customer and appear to have done everything possible to make the transition and difficult as stressful as possible, but coupled with the fact that they gave away... Sorry, SOLD private information that was only given to them as a courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

ITguru wrote: »
    Would an aerial fitted inside my home to my Smart TV with built in Irish Saorview work ?

Or do I have to fit the aerial outside my building and connect it to TV? I live in Dublin South County.

It can work - but I'm on the second floor and the aerial is at the window facing towards transmitter.
    Think it's this model
    http://www.tesco.com/direct/technika-auto-tuning-indoor-flat-aerial/211-2843.prd

Many Thanks guys.

I switched to UPC. Much better value than Magnet. Some of the Magnet sales people are so rude when I told then that i am closing the account and switching to UPC.

Regarding aerial, I am in the down floor with no window near the TV. I would like to put the antena behind the TV. I would try to buy it from some where and return it if it doesnt work. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

suolas wrote: »
    I was with Magnet for years, but as our children grew and became more tech orientated, so did our broadband requirements. The area we live in, although its Dublin City centre, our best speed was 12MB on the 24MB package.

When on the phone about ways to increase the broadband, Magnet staff had no option and when the call ended, I was left with the only available alternative of unfortunately having to look at other options which I let them know I had to do. If there was any other option, I would have happily stayed with Magnet.

Eventually we settled on UPC's 120MB/phone offer and at nealry €10 less of what I was currently paying, made the arrangements, the UPC people were friendly and helpful and said they would take care of the phone number, etc, I didn't even need to call Magnet to close the account. Fair enough, I thought. Pretty good customer service there.

About 3 weeks into service and our number still hasn't changed. I call UPC and find out that Magnet are witholding the code to change over the number. So I call Magnet to see what the issue is, it is then that they feel the need to remind me that I should have given them 30 days notice that I was cancelling the account. I stated that I had already done so as I spent the time to try and find other solutions without leaving Magnet, but that was a phantom call, they have no record of it.

And now I'm getting harrassing letters, emails to my Private email address and calls to my Private Number from BCW Group.

Not only am I disgusted at Magnet's attitude because they were incapable of keeping a customer and appear to have done everything possible to make the transition and difficult as stressful as possible, but coupled with the fact that they gave away... Sorry, SOLD private information that was only given to them as a courtesy.

Eircom tried that trick of forcing customers to give 30 days notice when porting to a new provider a couple of years ago. But Comreg put a stop to that practice. Once you are out of contract, i.e not updated in the past 12 months, you are free to port away to whomsoever you choose. Tell Magnet the can sing for their supper or you will be contacting Comreg.

I installed UPC package. The Smart Home box is in the hot Pressand the modem is installed there. But I cant put telephone in hotpress!

Also When I checked the speed in the morning the max speed was 60 Mbps and when I checked it in the evening the speed was around 10Mbps. The guy who installed the UPC package had no experience in working with smart home box. He told me to buy a cable which goes in to telephone at one end and Ethernet port on other end. I searched soo many shops and was not able to find any such thing. Also he wont touch. When I talked to sales they told me that the tech guy would do every thing. When the technician came he told me that he wont do any thing to ensure compatibility with other devices.

So I cancelled UPC account today itself even though they had a good deal in theory, but simply wont work on some homes.

Would have to stick with magnet or start shopping again for a good deal!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Have you tried Vodafone for fibre? They have some good prices.

It is 45 Euro per month just broadband and phone for vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,393 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

To get around the phone thing, buy a pair of cordless dect phones, plug one charging base in the press and plug the other where you would normally have your phone.
    The charging base in the press will communicate with the 2 handsets and you can charge both(or just use 1 handset) in the room where you'd Normally do it.

Advertisement