Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging framed photo partially above radiator

Options
  • 05-05-2015 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭

I unfortunately have to hang a print about 50cm above a radiator as there is nowhere else suitable. Only 1/4 of the 90" wide (!) frame will be directly over the rad.

If I just cover the section of the radiator that will be directly underneath with a towel or something, will that avoid any longterm heat damage?

The frame is wood.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

there is a bit more to it than just the info above

what kind of paper the art is on.

how its mounted

is it glass or acrylic in the frame

temperature by itself isnt going to ruin anything generally. but dramatic changes will

one thing you could do, it wont solve completely but could help is put one of those radiator shelf things over the rad, this will deflect the heat out a bit and therefore soften the blow on the frame

BUT there are way to many factors to determine if any major issues will arise from the description

• Registered Users Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

stcstc wrote: »
    there is a bit more to it than just the info above

what kind of paper the art is on.

how its mounted

is it glass or acrylic in the frame

temperature by itself isnt going to ruin anything generally. but dramatic changes will

one thing you could do, it wont solve completely but could help is put one of those radiator shelf things over the rad, this will deflect the heat out a bit and therefore soften the blow on the frame

BUT there are way to many factors to determine if any major issues will arise from the description

Good stuff... here are more details as you mention above.

Kind of paper: Photographic print (45" x 30")

How's it mounted: Hmm not sure what the terminology is. The print is "ironed on" to a paper back or something (I'm sure the framer could describe it accurately). Plus there is the usual card border mount around it (1" wide).

Glass or acrylic: Glass

Regarding the shelf, would putting a permanent thick towel over the section of rad work just as well? The section of radiator is behind a couch so appearance of a towel isn't a problem.

so its dry mounted (bonded to a board), now there are different ways to do this part, basically the glue is heat activated, so having above the rad will over time more than likely cause the bond of the glue to fail. could be no time at all could be ages before it happens

the mount sounds really small, but thats not a big deal, glass: glass is a very good thermal conductor, so what will happen with changes temperature is condensation will form on the inside of the glass over time. again it may take ages

as for the towel, not sure it will solve the issue it will slow it a little but not stop the problem

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I just realised that I mounted a recently purchased block mounted print above a radiator as it was the only wall long enough to mount the print on.

I might have to see about putting a shelf up. :eek:

so its dry mounted (bonded to a board), now there are different ways to do this part, basically the glue is heat activated, so having above the rad will over time more than likely cause the bond of the glue to fail. could be no time at all could be ages before it happens

the mount sounds really small, but thats not a big deal, glass: glass is a very good thermal conductor, so what will happen with changes temperature is condensation will form on the inside of the glass over time. again it may take ages

as for the towel, not sure it will solve the issue it will slow it a little but not stop the problem

reckon a shelf would be better? Don't really see how it would be different to 2 inches of towel though.

Also I was thinking perhaps 50cm above the rad should be enough away from it?

Bear in mind that only 1/4 of the frame is directly over the rad, the other 3/4 is to the left of it.

• Advertisement

its hard to say its right or wrong

i reckon the shelf would be better, it will block heat rising better

the fact that only some of it is over the heat just means thats the bit that will be affected worst

the fact that only some of it is over the heat just means thats the bit that will be affected worst

hmm I might just stick a thick piece of wood on top of that section of rad, and it will be held in place by the sofa :)

I've hung it up and put 3 inches of towel over the specific section of radiator and feel no heat getting through to the top of the towel. I also feel no heat on the frame, so does this mean I'm in the clear?

Radiator is on full blast.

generally it doesn't happen instantly, and its normally changes in temp that do the most damage

generally it doesn't happen instantly, and its normally changes in temp that do the most damage

Hmm cheers, so it would probably happen anywhere it's hung in the room as the whole room heats up when the rads are on.

I'll leave it like this for now but thanks for advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement