Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printing from social media

Options
  • 04-05-2015 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭

Is there any way to get good quality prints from Twitter/ Instagram? What size would be best to make it decent looking?
    I want to print some pictures for a friend and since its a surprise I don't want to ask for the originals. Is it just a bad idea? Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It depends on the quality of the image and how it will be viewed. Generally screen resolution files will only print quite small before the quality falls off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Did this recently if they are Facebook pictures printing them at 6x8 or 4x6 worked fine, not sure what size instagram pics are generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

if looking for an online solution then you'll find sites like http://printstagr.am/ that will do it for you. It's been a long time since I've looked or used instagram but in previous times I think about 2.5" - 3" square was about as much as you'd screw out of the digital file which instagram produces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Thanks all. That's what I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

depends on the use of the images, for example if its to blow up large for a birthday party, no one is going to be examining the quality of the images, they are just gonna appreciate them for what they are

if its to make a gift thats ment to last a long time and be treasured then its a different issue

i have printed iphone pics for customers comfortably 12" square. now it does depend on the image. some images suit being blown up more than others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Printing from social media will be ****e unless the prints are very small.
    The online images are 72 dpi, for printing they should be 300 dpi - if you are printing commonly-sized prints then they'll be very blurry and will suffer from software image compression artefacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

the ones i printed for my last customer were not

like i said above it really does depend on the image as to whether it will print at decent size

i have printed 12" long no probs from a lot of iphone images

not all social media images are suitable and not all will got blurry and show artifacts

yep lots will BUT depends on the image

Advertisement