Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I get dedicated modem/router for UPC?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

You won't be able to use anything but UPC's modem to connect to their network. You can put it into bridge mode and hand off your internal network setup (DHCP / routing) to another device, such as a Linksys DIR 868L / EA6300 (or a more modern equivalent).

Cable modems won't work with UPC, you have to use their equipment.

I have the Horizon box but I only use it for TV. I kept their modem (Thompson) and use my own router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Thanks for that; a combined unit would have been neater but I'll guess I'll have to put up with separates!

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Yakuza wrote: »
    Cable modems won't work with UPC, you have to use their equipment.

In theory they would as it is a cable modem (or combined modem and router) that UPC uses UPC don't allow devices other than those that they have supplied to be connected to their network

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

That's what I meant (but I accept not what I stated explicitly). The upshot is the same, mind! I'm not sure why they won't let anything other than their equipment connect, provided you waive your right to tech support. Back when I was an Eircom DSL customer, I used my own DSL modem / router without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yakuza wrote: »
    That's what I meant (but I accept not what I stated explicitly). The upshot is the same, mind! I'm not sure why they won't let anything other than their equipment connect, provided you waive your right to tech support. Back when I was an Eircom DSL customer, I used my own DSL modem / router without issue.

With DSL your line is yours, its not shared, but with Cable your line is a shared medium between you and your neighbours back to the CMTS, so in theory a dud modem could degrade an areas performance, but most US Cable Ops still allow 3rd party CPE so my guess is its just UPC being super controlling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

couldn't you spoof the mac address?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've yet to see anyone post here saying theyve managed it with UPC. It depends on how much authentication the CMTS does during the linkup procedure. Paging BK?

Advertisement