Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been let go(NEED ADVICE)

Options
  • 04-05-2015 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

So I'm in need of a bit of help! I was working part time in a company( I will not state the name). I've been there since before christmas, I was coming up on being there 6 months! The job is a sales based job and I was hitting targets every month!

So I was due to be in work from 12-6pm on Sunday the 3rd may, I was expecting it to be just another weekend of working! Then on 2pm Saturday I got a phone call from my manager saying that the shop was doing bad and that he had no more hours to give me and that I was being let go! I was really quite offended that he couldn't even say it to my face. When I went to talk to him on the phone he hung up and that was that!

On the Sunday I sent an email asking for my P45 and a written reason saying why I had been let go, he than began to hassle me about giving the shop keys back and that I would not get my information until I gave my keys back! I told him that I was currently busy with college exams and that I was unsure when I would have the time to give the keys bac and told him it was vital I got that information, he continued to hassle me about the keys and avoided every question I asked!

It doesn't bother me that I was let go, what does bother me though is the fact that there was a new part-time girl there only 3 weeks and she was kept on! My sales were good, I was getting good customer reviews, and let them know I was finishing college and would be available to work anytime and anywhere

A month before this my old manager and colleague were fired and this is when this new manager took over, ever since the guy just seemed to dislike me! I'm guessing his aim was to get all the original staff out of the store!

I'm going to send the keys back to head office through registered post on Tuesday as I do not feel comfortable going in to give him the keys!( he has an awful attitude towards staff and customers)

So I need some advice and want to ask some questions;

1.I'm owed pay for days worked in the week, will I also be owed holiday pay?
    2.was it right of him to ring me and let me go over the phone or should it have been done better?
    3.is that short phone conversation sufficient notice?
    4.how does the notice period work?
    5.is there anything I can do about this? I know unfair dismissal is out of the question as I wasn't there a year

Hope someone can help me and advice me on what to do!
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

If you've taken no holiday time then you'll be owed 8% of your hours as holiday pay.

He should have let you go in person, phone was a very rude and unprofessional way to do it.

You're entitled to one week's notice if you're there over 13 weeks and less than 2 years. If your contract states a longer notice period though, you're entitled to that. As he has not let you work your notice period, you've been put on garden leave and must be paid for the notice period.

There's feck all you can do, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ryan_vickery

If you've taken no holiday time then you'll be owed 8% of your hours as holiday pay.

He should have let you go in person, phone was a very rude and unprofessional way to do it.

You're entitled to one week's notice if you're there over 13 weeks and less than 2 years. If your contract states a longer notice period though, you're entitled to that. As he has not let you work your notice period, you've been put on garden leave and must be paid for the notice period.

There's feck all you can do, unfortunately.

Kinda had a feeling that was gonna be the case! I was paid my holidays for the first quarter so I'm assuming it will be calculated on the last 2 months!

How does the garden leave work? Does it automatically get paid to me? Is it paid for a 40 hour week or just what I was due to work? What happens if they don't pay me garden leave, what should I do?

Sorry for all the questions, its just the first time I've been in this situation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Kinda had a feeling that was gonna be the case! I was paid my holidays for the first quarter so I'm assuming it will be calculated on the last 2 months!

How does the garden leave work? Does it automatically get paid to me? Is it paid for a 40 hour week or just what I was due to work? What happens if they don't pay me garden leave, what should I do?

Sorry for all the questions, its just the first time I've been in this situation

The garden leave you are owed is for the hours you were due to work that week. I think you'd also be able to include those hours when calculating the holiday pay you are owed, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

If you don't receive what you are entitled to you can pursue them legally.

Advertisement