Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 5.0.1 S5

Options
  • 03-05-2015 6:56pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm on the o2/Three Network and oddly my S5 can't get 5.0.1 but my S4 does. What's the logic behind that?!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

This is Android's single weakest point, phones are sent out to die and updates are a mess of bloated re skinned garbage. Of course you can put whatever ROM you want on most devices, but why can't manufacturers provide stock images of the latest version?

Fortunately Google seems to have offset most of the core functionality to Google Play Services so there hasn't been any major changes to Android since Jelly Bean and lollipop unlike monolithic changes like with iOS.

The problem is that Google are now appearing to be dropping the Nexus and Play Edition phones with stock Android so we'll be stuck with this lousy behaviour from handset manufacturers. I can't see things getting better and I'm about to jump ship.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm trying to get the update to fix issues with 5.0, but christ! Seeing it on the older model and not newer ones make no sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Samsung hasn't updated the S5 to 5.0.1 or anything higher yet. It was one of the first to get 5.x. As they start updating some of the older phones or indeed the S6, they are getting newer Android codebases which have been released after Samsung started on updating the S5

I hope they'll release 5.1.x for it sometime

Advertisement