Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragonflies in Longford

Options
  • 03-05-2015 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Hi,

I've to do a field trip to collect data on dragonflies and damselflies for college. I'm wondering would anyone know the best place in Longford for them?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Any ponds. lakes, canals, particularly ones with emergent vegetation around the edges. The flight season is just beginning, will be end of month before there will be many species on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CaptainAhab

Try out near Lough Ree - there is a walk at Lanesborough I think. The River Inny at Ballymahon is another option. There are heaps of lakes within an hours drive from Longford so you should have no trouble with that.

Lough Gamhna is another place that springs to mind from my time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bellaf

Hi,
    I live in County Longford and record dragonflies and damselflies. If you would like to PM me with your location I can guide you in the right direction. There are Large Red and Blue Damselflies as well as Hairy Dragonflies out at the moment. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

Thanks for the replies!

I was at Island Bridge near Kenagh on Wednesday because it was dry and sunny and sadly lucked out. I thought I'd spotted a young damselfly but after looking at this site and not finding what I (thought) I saw I'm pretty sure it was wishful visioning! Would it be best to avoid the canal?

http://www.habitas.org.uk/dragonflyireland/index.html

Bellaf, I'm a few miles outside the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

You could also try the NPWS Reserve at Glen Lough, near Edgeworthstown - good for butterflies, dragonflies etc. also a lovely place to visit for all type of wildlife watching !
    Link here :
    http://www.npws.ie/protected-sites/spa/004045

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 bellaf

By pure coincidence I was at Glen Lake myself today. I saw two variable damselflies and no dragonflies but the weather wasn't exactly great. The variable damselflies are by far the most common species at this site. If you want to see wood white butterflies they are out in force there.

Advertisement