Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travel insurance query - activity adventures?

Options
  • 02-05-2015 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am going traveling for 10 months - shopping around for insurance at the moment.
    The only problem i have is in relation to adventure activities.
    The prices vary greatly pending on the grade you choose - 1-4 depending on the activities ie prices increase for higher risk activities etc.
    I will be doing a lot of trekking but up to 4000 mtrs is covered in a few basic plans - eg with AA.
    I do not plan to do many mad activities but I would like to do a paraglide or parachute jump - maybe in new zealand.
    This would mean choosing grade 3-4 - with a price increase of about €100 with each grade.
    Should I factor this into my insurance now or could I get it as part of the activity?
    Tempting not to increase the grade but €100 is not much should anything nasty happen to me while doing such an activity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

sporina wrote: »
    Hi

I am going traveling for 10 months - shopping around for insurance at the moment.
    The only problem i have is in relation to activities.
    The prices vary greatly pending on the grade you choose - 1-4 depending on the activities ie prices increase for higher risk activities etc.
    I will be doing a lot of trekking but up to 4000 mtrs is covered in a few basic plans - eg with AA.
    I do not plan to do many mad activities but I would like to do a paraglide or parachute jump - maybe in new zealand.
    This would mean choosing grade 3-4 - with a price increase of about €100 with each grade.
    Should I factor this into my insurance now or could I get it as part of the activity?
    Tempting not to increase the grade but €100 is not much should anything nasty happen to me while doing such an activity.

I would take out insurance to cover you for anything you may do, I had the misfortune to have to claim on my travel insurance for my son, luckily we had taken the wintersports premium package which cost another 10 euro for a family, the excess was halved and the company was very easy to deal with and we were able to recover most of the medical costs once back in Ireland.
    If we hadn't had wintersports cover we would have been a lot worse off with medical bills and this was in the EU.
    So get good insurance cover and you can enjoy yourself and not sweat over doing something you may want to do.
    BTW I found Multitrip insurance very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I would take out insurance to cover you for anything you may do, I had the misfortune to have to claim on my travel insurance for my son, luckily we had taken the wintersports premium package which cost another 10 euro for a family, the excess was halved and the company was very easy to deal with and we were able to recover most of the medical costs once back in Ireland.
    If we hadn't had wintersports cover we would have been a lot worse off with medical bills and this was in the EU.
    So get good insurance cover and you can enjoy yourself and not sweat over doing something you may want to do.
    BTW I found Multitrip insurance very good.

thanks for the reply.
    yes i am looking into multitrip
    you are right - why skimp on a few € when it could save thousands in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

sporina wrote: »
    ... yes i am looking into multitrip...
    Look carefully. Multitrip policies are not designed to cover one long trip, but a number of shorter ones. My cover, for example, allows a maximum of 30 days on any one trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Look carefully. Multitrip policies are not designed to cover one long trip, but a number of shorter ones. My cover, for example, allows a maximum of 30 days on any one trip.
    They also have a backpacker policy which covers up to 12 mths.
    for up to grade 4 its around 500 for the year.
    Not bad value.

Advertisement