Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TeachFirst or School DIrect in UK

Options
  • 01-05-2015 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I am moving to England next year and the plan is to become a teacher.

I have been a journalist over here for 12-years and have also lectured on a guest basis and love the teaching...so I'm gonna move in that direction full-time. I assumed I'd take the route of TeachFirst or School Direct as I will get a salary while gaining my Teacher Qualification.

However, I'm a bit worried as the Degree I have is an Open University Open Degree in Creative Writing and Children's Literature.... Aparrently to get on to School Direct programme the Degree I have has to be 50% related to the subject I want to teach - which is English. But i've heard that because my Degree is mostly Creative Writing, this is not sufficient. I'm gutted.

Has anybody had any experiences with TeachFirst or Schools Direct and can give me some information on this?

Thanks a mill. I find searching for answers like these through their websites very confusing....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Might be worth watching Tough Young Teachers on BBC if you can access it. Gives a view of what life is like on the Teach First programme. They send teachers to disadvanted schools and seem to throw them in the deep end ridiculously early. I have worked in some very very tough London schools. Its incredibly difficult work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 erika_sy

<'mod snip, no advertising.. try hello@boards.ie to advertise>

Advertisement