Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orthotics - Foot Solutions or Physio?

Options
  • 01-05-2015 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭

Not entirely a running issue, but certainly footwear related and I do got running a small bit, but never excelled at all, maybe this is the reason :rolleyes:

Has anyone ever gotten custom fit insoles done before, ones which you swap between all the shoes and runners you wear. If so, I'd be interested to hear your stories. I went to Foot Solutions today and they recommended I needed them @ €300 :eek:
    I didn't make a purchase, but I know myself I probably need them as I have always had fallen arches feet ever since I was a kid
    Rang the local Physio and they told me it would be €180 for a consultation and fitting... then €360 more for the insoles!!!
    Foot Solutions are now looking pretty cheap!
    Is there anyone you would recommend in the Dublin area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Seve OB wrote: »
    Not entirely a running issue, but certainly footwear related and I do got running a small bit, but never excelled at all, maybe this is the reason :rolleyes:

Has anyone ever gotten custom fit insoles done before, ones which you swap between all the shoes and runners you wear. If so, I'd be interested to hear your stories. I went to Foot Solutions today and they recommended I needed them @ €300 :eek:
    I didn't make a purchase, but I know myself I probably need them as I have always had fallen arches feet ever since I was a kid
    Rang the local Physio and they told me it would be €180 for a consultation and fitting... then €360 more for the insoles!!!

My wife has them for a few years now. She swears by them.
    I seem to remember that it took a while to get used to them. I think she had some stiffness at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

where did she get them done?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

I had bad Achilles tendon problems for years (not an athlete by the way, far from it.) Went to Tallaght hospital who referred my to a physio. She had me doing exercises, which were really not much help. I eventually went to Foot Solutions and got the fitted insoles (€300 + -can't remember the exact price.) Feet still aren't perfect but my tendon problems have just about gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

where did she get them done?
    We are in Cork. She was attending a chiropractor with back problems and they also do gait assessment and she got them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Walk into foot solutions with a friend who has no issue. Have them say they have hip pain and see if they recommend if they should get the inserts.

http://tinyurl.com/mm9hkd7
    As you can see these people are sales reps. Orthotics should only be used by people who have serious issues with their feet. So you went to a physio (a trained professional) discarded their advise and went to your local foot solutions sales rep and they told you what you wanted to hear.

I have been down this path also. I have flat feet, now work at a standing desk and wear vivobarefoot shoes that have no support. I have no issues whatsoever after I reduced my 12+ hours a day of sitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

Hi SeveOB,

That price looks to be pretty steep from physio.

What area of Dublin are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

After a lot of reconstruction in my ankles I'm stuck with these anytime I'm standing up. To be fair they're great. I've gone from the old school way of casting your feet, using the mould to build up, to the newer gait scans. But about 18 months ago I changed to one called pegasus. That's the name of the machines they use. Your put into a 3d xray machine to get the composition of your feet. The insoles then come back from carbon fibre so they don't buckle under your weight. They weren't cheap, but weren't a whole lot more than the other types. It's so much more accurate it's worth the money, as for me it's life changing.
    There's not many using the machines so you may have to email the company up north for people they work with. Only 2 in dublin are a lad called Karl who works from Stepaside who I used, and a shop on berekly road I think in dublin 7 who their physio is using the equipment.

jacko wrote: »
    Hi SeveOB,

That price looks to be pretty steep from physio.

What area of Dublin are you in?

That was physio.ie in blanchardstown . I'm on castleknock but don't mind driving somewhere

After a lot of reconstruction in my ankles I'm stuck with these anytime I'm standing up. To be fair they're great. I've gone from the old school way of casting your feet, using the mould to build up, to the newer gait scans. But about 18 months ago I changed to one called pegasus. That's the name of the machines they use. Your put into a 3d xray machine to get the composition of your feet. The insoles then come back from carbon fibre so they don't buckle under your weight. They weren't cheap, but weren't a whole lot more than the other types. It's so much more accurate it's worth the money, as for me it's life changing.
    There's not many using the machines so you may have to email the company up north for people they work with. Only 2 in dublin are a lad called Karl who works from Stepaside who I used, and a shop on berekly road I think in dublin 7 who their physio is using the equipment.

How much are you talking about? What's the name of the company you went to? Any link?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

That was physio.ie in blanchardstown . I'm on castleknock but don't mind driving somewhere

I went to a physio in glasnevin area. Found physio to be good, took time, did assessment and wasn't in rush to prescribe orthotics. Physio did a full assessment of all movement, not just feet. Ended up having to get them in the end. It was a flat plate scanner. The orthotics are great, really feel the difference, well worth it.

that 3d pegasus system mentioned by Gavin sounds impressive

• Advertisement

I'm an impulse kind of lad... couldn't be arsed going out yesterday in the rain but went up to Foot Solutions gain today and stuck the order in for the orthotic insoles. will keep you posted on how i get on

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

Wow, I'd no idea they were so expensive back home now. I just got a new set a few months ago over here in Taiwan and they now do a type using modular pieces than can be molded and glued together (not sure how they do them in Foot Solutions). My previous two pairs were done using plaster casts.

I've been using orthotics since about 1990 and they've totally saved my knees (but of course they aren't for everyone). The first pair were bought in Scotland for about 100 pounds, the second in Spain in around 1999 for a similar price (possibly a bit more, but not much) and then the current ones again for a similar price. I do know that I can't expect the current ones to last more than about five years, but I'm OK with that given the price.

As mentioned by johnayo, you need to get used to them. In my case I was told to only wear them for an hour or two a day at the beginning, slowly building up to wearing them full-time. Again, go with whatever advice the suppliers give you, not what I tell you.

Cheers Biketard.

Have you only had 3 pairs in 25 years? I was told these would last 5 years. Actually, think they said guaranteed for 5 years, maybe that means I'll get a little longer out of them.

I haven't really been given wearing advice, but I guess that will come when I pick them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

Well the first two pairs I had were really hard plastic. I'm sure I shouldn't have used them for that long, but only because, like glasses, I probably should've had some sort of check up at some stage to make sure that they were still a good match. Or I suppose they may have warped a bit after all those years, but honestly I only went to get new ones once I felt like my knees weren't completely happy again. I should add that I do keep myself fit, so it's not like I wasn't really putting them through any sort of stress.

The ones I've got now are softer so i know they won't last anywhere near as long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I get mine from my chiropractor.
    He does a gait scan and sends off for them.
    I was getting the cheaper ones every year and claiming from my health insurance but forked out for the dearer ones a fee years ago which last a lot longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I don't know where you are at the moment with this, but before you do anything, try www.podiatry.ie - a guy called Justin Blake treated my plantar fasciitis, doesn't hold with orthotics, splints or any of that nonsense. He treats the problem with manipulation and exercises. It cost me a fraction of what you're about to shell out.

davedanon wrote: »
    I don't know where you are at the moment with this, but before you do anything, try www.podiatry.ie - a guy called Justin Blake treated my plantar fasciitis, doesn't hold with orthotics, splints or any of that nonsense. He treats the problem with manipulation and exercises. It cost me a fraction of what you're about to shell out.

already shelled out the money. pity cause I certainly would have had a good look at this option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just so you know. You can claim back from health. Insurance and med1 for these. Makes it a bit less painful.

Just so you know. You can claim back from health. Insurance and med1 for these. Makes it a bit less painful.

Cheers, I had though about that allright, so will be taking a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

Know its been a bit since last post- but how did “foot solutions” solutions work out in the end? A relative needs them now.

Anyone recommend anywhere else to get some good insoles made? Or any other ideas. Thanks!

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,525 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

A lot of people have gait and other issues as humans are mostly not symmetrical. We are also not identical. So often what works for one person to will not work for someone else. Sometimes it will. You have to find your own solution.

I was directed to using orthos from a physio. I found the orthos helpful but not a golden bullet. I could say the same about physio and exercises. Foot solutions recommended brooks runners for the orthos and I've found them a vast improvement over cheaper runners I previously got. Even without the Orthos.

Advertisement