Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday time

Options
  • 01-05-2015 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭

I recently have been offered a position in retail which I am delighted about as I have really struggled to secure part-time positions during my time as a student. I will be starting in two weeks but my issue is that I have booked a holiday for 12 days after a month into my contract.
    I alerted my employer to this when I was given the initial offer but this was with a head office which wouldn't have dealings with me after I start (I would assume).

So what I'm wondering is, is it unreasonable to take an almost two week holiday not long after starting a contract? Is it possible that I will be let go for this as I did not mention my plans during the interview process (but I did once I got offered)?

Secondly, how should I let me future managers know about this? As I said it is only a part-time (15 hours per week) contract. I don't want to lose this position but also I can't exactly do anything about my plans.

All advice is appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

MEntion this as soon as possible to your direct manager and who-ever schedules shifts/hours at the outlet. Offer to be flexible and helpful, for exampl, cover other shifts before/after the holiday to make up for any possible inconvenience to them.

It may not be a big issue for them so don't worry too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't expect to get paid for it.
    I've always mentioned in interviews about holidays I have booked and its never been a barrier.
    Just tell your supervisor the day you start work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

MEntion this as soon as possible to your direct manager and who-ever schedules shifts/hours at the outlet. Offer to be flexible and helpful, for exampl, cover other shifts before/after the holiday to make up for any possible inconvenience to them.

It may not be a big issue for them so don't worry too much.
    I will definitely do that, I never normally take holidays but as it was my final year of college I felt I deserved a break! Your suggestion about being flexible and offering to cover is great I will definitely do that! :)
    eezipc wrote: »
    Shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't expect to get paid for it.
    I've always mentioned in interviews about holidays I have booked and its never been a barrier.
    Just tell your supervisor the day you start work.
    I would have mentioned in the interview if it had been a one to one but unfortunately it was a group interview, and to be honest there was very little time to talk about availability as most of it was role playing. Would you suggest I say that I want to take an unpaid holiday break, I don't expect to get paid for it but would it be a good idea to make this clear when I bring it up?

Advertisement