Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stobart Air sea salt encounter

Options
  • 01-05-2015 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.aaiu.ie/sites/default/files/report-attachments/REPORT%202015-007.pdf
    *SYNOPSIS*

The aircraft, which was on a scheduled passenger flight, carried out a
    go-around from its first approach to Runway (RWY) 25 at Cork Airport (EICK)
    in stormy weather, due to a significant increase in indicated airspeed on
    short final. The aircraft then positioned under radar control for a second
    approach to the same runway. Its track brought it south of EICK, close to the
    coast and at times over the sea. During this time, a thick layer of sea salt
    formed on the front windscreens, obscuring the Flight Crew’s forward
    visibility. As it was not possible to acquire the necessary visual references
    for landing, a second go-around was flown.

The Flight Crew flew the aircraft to areas of shower activity and a small
    portion of the Commander’s windscreen was cleared.
    A third approach was
    flown to a successful landing.

What a brilliant solution!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Do planes not have windscreen washers? or would they just freeze up all the time from the low temps at high altitude?

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Spotted this on the journal.ie earlier but haven't read the full report yet. I think it mentioned that the windscreen heaters dried out the salt water making the wipers useless. (Edit: re-read and you mentioned washers not wipers, sorry)

Great response from pilots!

Stinicker wrote: »
    Do planes not have windscreen washers? or would they just freeze up all the time from the low temps at high altitude?

They do but as noted in the reported they were useless on this occasion. It was thought screen heat caused the salt to dry and cake on hard, reminds me of the many times over the winter my nozzles froze over and I tried to slipstream a HGV to get some moisture to wash my windscreen till my nozzles thawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Alaba320

They do but as noted in the reported they were useless on this occasion. It was thought screen heat caused the salt to dry and cake on hard, reminds me of the many times over the winter my nozzles froze over and I tried to slipstream a HGV to get some moisture to wash my windscreen till my nozzles thawed.

ATRs are not fitted with window washers. Only Wipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

smurfjed wrote: »

I see what you did there - very clever ;)

Great thinking and very well handled by the crew. Always pays to think outside the box!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I see what you did there - very clever ;)

Great thinking and very well handled by the crew. Always pays to think outside the box!

Or outside the cockpit :D

Advertisement