Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking a builder's qualifications

Options
  • 01-05-2015 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm hoping someone can help me narrow my search. I am looking for a builder to do a house extension and some renovation work to existing house. I started out looking for quotes on -snip-.ie as this site claims that all their members are vetted and verified as qualified. Who is vetting and verifying that their members are qualified?

Having narrowed the list of replies I received to 5 builders, I'm now at the stage of checking their credentials. Some of them claim to be companies yet they are not registered on cro.ie (companies registration office). Should I be making sure they are a registered company? Also, some of them are not on the following registers: ciri.ie (construction industry register) or cif.ie (construction industry federation)

I'm confused with all the acronyms and exactly what I should be checking for.

Obviously, I will check their references they give me with the intention of calling to these addresses to see the work they've carried out in person. Also I will insist on a detailed quotation before I commit. Two builders have got back to me with a verbal quotation but I'm sure it's normal to insist on a written quotation with details??

Hope someone can give me advice with the exact questions to ask or at least guide me to a thread that covers all of this (I have searched through the topics but wasn't able to find one)

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

CIRI is the latest official registration.

Re written quotations, will you be paying all five builders for the time involved in preparing written quotations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

No need to pay anyone to do a competitive tender, if they are looking to be paid for that then tell them to get lost. A detailed written quotation is the only way to determine if they have included everything in the job, as well as being able to agree additional costs if and (normally) when they arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MConnor

I appreciate the time it would take to do a detailed quotation, I'm looking to see what's the norm. Is this normally only supplied when one has committed to a builder?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,152 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

MConnor wrote: »
    I appreciate the time it would take to do a detailed quotation, I'm looking to see what's the norm. Is this normally only supplied when one has committed to a builder?

YOU should arrange for all the detail to be done on your side (construction drgs, specifications, BOQ etc), so that:

1. all the tenders price for the same thing, easier to compare
    2. the specification would be prescriptive in exact products
    3. you retain power over the final product
    4. PC sums to be dictated by you

if they are interested in doing the job they will provide a quote based on these details

Sorry, I should have been clearer: I have given builders the following:
    Full set of preliminary drawings/plans including new build and handwritten list of other works we need to be done such as:
    New windows throughout, new internal doors, change heating from oil to gas with new boiler and rads throughout etc.
    We have been very clear in what we want. I'm just wondering what's the next stage, should I be asking them for a detailed costed quotation.
    Appreciate all the feedback, thanks.

Sydthebeat, when you mention BOQ is that a Bill of Quantities ( had to google that one!) Do you know of a link to a template of this I could use?

• Advertisement

handwritten list of other works we need to be done such as:
    New windows throughout, new internal doors, change heating from oil to gas with new boiler and rads throughout etc.

You see, that the kind of information that a builder just loves.

you could end up with crap white upvc windows, uncertified with performance u values of 2.0 with no low e glazing an without air tightness test values.

also you could get a cheap untested / uncertified rare re-commissioned gas boiler which could have crappier efficiencies than you have currently, no pipework insulated, cheap plastic uninsulated under floor black radiator pipework etc

solid internal doors? honey comb? deal? oak? glazing? ironmongry? painted? stained? saddle boards? architrave / skirting to match? etc etc

in order to get the best final build you need to prescribe EXACTLY what products to be used everywhere, or at least what standard those products should pass to.

the builder isnt going to price you for the rolls royce product which raises his bottom line, if you havent specified exactly what you want.

edit: and no, i dont have a BOQ 'template'.
    not quite sure what you mean by a 'preliminary' drawing either?? probably a sketch design drawing and not a drawing designed for tendering.

They are architectural drawings, not a sketch. Preliminary in sense that not finalised for planning. Thx for your reply.

They are architectural drawings, not a sketch. Preliminary in sense that not finalised for planning. Thx for your reply.

so your at pre-planning stage?

your designer should be able to give you an indication of the design fits your budget.

at this stage its unfair to expect a detailed quote from a builder on a project which isnt "shovel ready"

to be honest.... "drawings not finalised for planning" ARE sketch drawings...

Advertisement