Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post 1999 Learner Car - Ford Fiesta, VW Polo or Toyota Yaris

Options
  • 01-05-2015 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi All,

This might be asked a million times but I am in hunt for great learner car. I will be turning 30 next month and as a gift to myself I asked my OH for a car to focus on getting my full licence after years of procrastinating!

After checking different sites selling cars, I ended up with these 3 cars:

- 2002-2003 Ford Fiesta (the facelift after 90s look) 1.24/1.4L
    - 2002/2003 VW Polo 1.25L
    - 2000-2002 Toyota Yaris 1L

Can you suggest which of them is the best to get? The one that is reliable, have great visibility, very responsive (gears,breaks, etc),have great engine & not expensive if repaired? Also, with a bit of space with maybe isofix if any. Basically, overall great car for learner with even tiny bit of space for buggy.

Thanks

Post 1999 Learner car 8 votes

2002-2003 Ford Fiesta 1.25/1.4L
    0% 0 votes
    2002-2003 VW Polo 1.2L
    50% 4 votes
    2000-2002 Toyota Yaris 1L
    50% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In this order imo:

Yaris,
    Fiesta,
    Polo a distant third.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

For ease of learning go Yaris. Very confident, direct feel off the gearstick which you'll enjoy. Good build quality and a year later you can sell her for nearly all what you paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 teddyhenry

For ease of learning go Yaris. Very confident, direct feel off the gearstick which you'll enjoy. Good build quality and a year later you can sell her for nearly all what you paid!

Hi, thanks for the input. Just wondering, my husband test drove 2 Yarises which both have NCT until next year and he said that the breaks were not as responsive and felt spongy. Is this normal for Yarises?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

teddyhenry wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the input. Just wondering, my husband test drove 2 Yarises which both have NCT until next year and he said that the breaks were not as responsive and felt spongy. Is this normal for Yarises?

What was he comparing them to? Very unlikely a Yaris of that age would ABS brakes so if he is used to a car with ABS then the feeling from both would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 teddyhenry

bazz26 wrote: »
    What was he comparing them to? Very unlikely a Yaris of that age would ABS brakes so if he is used to a car with ABS then the feeling from both would be different.

I think you are right, he is used to cars with ABS! Would car with ABS better to learn than without or it doesn't really matter? The fiesta that I'm looking for I think has ABS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

If you find a rust free late 90's to early 00's fiesta, then you would be doing well. Vast majority are riddled with rust, especially around the sills. The Yaris is the one to go for here!

Advertisement