Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bringing alcohol to the US?

Options
  • 01-05-2015 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, I was planning on bringing 2 bottles of whiskey as gifts for friends, but it says something like I can only bring 1 litre to the US? What happens if I bring more than that? What if I buy 2 bottles in duty free?

I'm just wondering if I can bring 2 or am I gonna have to pick which friend gets a whiskey ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Links234 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I was planning on bringing 2 bottles of whiskey as gifts for friends, but it says something like I can only bring 1 litre to the US? What happens if I bring more than that? What if I buy 2 bottles in duty free?

I'm just wondering if I can bring 2 or am I gonna have to pick which friend gets a whiskey ?

I brought 2 700ml bottles of whiskey bought in duty free back in 2011 and there was no issues, don't know if it's changed since then though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Oh, and can I bring whiskey in my checked baggage?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yes, you can put booze in your checked luggage, but the same customs limits apply. Be careful that putting heavy glass bottles in your checked luggage, don't put your bags over the weight limit. If you decide to buy it in the duty free, they'll ask you for your boarding pass at the cash desk. They won't sell you more than the legal allowance of the country that you are flying too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,185 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If your flying from Dublin buy 1 litre in duty free, then when you US Customs and Border Protection in Dublin you don't then pass any customs on the US side. I am not 100% but I think you can then buy spirits on board the plane as duty free, this could be gone since pre clearance I am not sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

No duty free on the plane when you go through pre-clearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can bring in more than 1 litre, but anything above it, may be subject to duty/tax, which varies per State. If you're only bringing in two bottles I think the tax would be less than $5, and I doubt you will be charged, but you may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

you can bring it in your checked bagage as you will have paid the duty here, it depends on the person on customs if they will let ya go over the limit of 1 litre duty free... cant buy on plane if ya do pre clearence in dublin....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

It's possible you may be charged the duty if you are over the allowance - it's also possible they will make a notation on your ESTA...

buy the booze over there - it's a lot cheaper.

Advertisement